Linux Basics: Add Users From Terminal
Of course, adding users can also be done using Graphical User Interface (GUI) but doing things from the Terminal in Linux is always fun, powerful, fast and interesting. You only need to sit back and watch this task completed after striking ENTER.
Also, as Linux beginners, we need to make good of the terminal and know its power.
Adding users via terminal will become very handy when you need to that remotely, sometimes via SSH (Secure Shell)
In this tutorial we are going to add user using adduser command (See man adduser for more)
NOTE: Only root may add a user or group to the system.
sudo useradd -c "Enock Seth" -m -s "/bin/bash" e_s_unixmen
Understanding the above command:
- The -c “Enock Seth” represents the Full Name of the user.
- The -m creates a home directory for the new user in /home.
- The -s “/bin/bash” creates a bash shell as the login shell for the user, If not specified on Ubuntu creates sh shell.
Creating or Changing Password for new user
After we have successfully created a new user, password must (always) be created for security. To create password, we are going to use passwd command. (See man passwd for more):
Open Terminal and run:
$ sudo passwd <username>
Here, my user name is e_s_unixmen
You can cd into your /home directory to see new users home folder created successfully also, can be seen from the logon screen.
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October : For Fedora users, just keep calm and use Fedora 20 for now. Fedora Developers has announced that F...1 comment |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install LAMP Server (Apache, MySQL or MariaDB, PHP) On Ubuntu 13.10 : Updated January 12, 2014 LAMP is a combination of operating system and open-source software stack. ...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- DNS Server Installation Step by Step Using CentOS 6.5/6.4/6.3 : DNS, Domain Name System, translates hostnames or URLs into IP addresses. For example if we type www....0 comments |
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
- Puppet agent Install Using Script
- Install Corosync and Pacemaker On CentOS 6.5
- Install Fail2Ban On Ubuntu Server 13.04/13.10
- How To Install Google Chrome in Fedora 20, 19, 18
- How to surf using Tor Browser Bundle
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .