Install Firefox4 on debian Squeeze
Question : How to install Firefox4 in Debian Squeeze?
Firefox is not the defaut borwser in Debian, in this post we will try to install firefox4.0 from source in Debian Squeeze
First, download Firefox4.0 tarball package
Now, Open terminal and, as root, type the following commands.
remove the iceweasel browser
apt-get remove iceweasel
mv firefox-4.0.tar.bz2 /usr/lib/
tar -jxvf firefox-4.0.tar.bz2
ln -s /usr/lib/firefox/firefox /usr/bin/firefox
If you prefer, you can simplify the above commands by copying/pasting the following text onto your terminal command line:
apt-get remove iceweasel; mv firefox-4.0.tar.bz2 /usr/lib/; cd /usr/lib/; tar -jxvf firefox-4.0.tar.bz2; ln -s /usr/lib/firefox/firefox /usr/bin/firefox
Now, you’ll need to create a symlink from /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/ to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/, using this two-part command (as root):
rm -rf /usr/lib/firefox/plugins; ln -s /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins /usr/lib/firefox/plugins.
Because of some libgtk isssues you have to install some dependencies manually
apt-get install ia32-libs-gtk
now you are ready to start the firefox from the terminal
Add the firefox icon to the menu bar
right click > add to panel> Custum application Luncher >
Comment : firefox
You can change the icon from the /usr/lib/firefox/icons
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- News from Kaspersky Lab: Tor is protecting criminals : In a previous article I wrote a bit about Tor. Free browser, relays bouncing your IP all over the ...1 comment |
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive : A couple of months before, we have featured a Linux client for Google Drive named Syncdrive, which w...0 comments |
- How To Access A LVM Drive / Partition in Ubuntu : Hey Guys, I installed Fedora on an external drive (LVM) recently and was trying to access it from U...0 comments |
- Adding and Deleting Cluster Resources (corosync pacemaker) : In our previous tutorial, we have shown you how to install corosync and pacemaker. We will show y...0 comments |
- Install Satis On Ubuntu Sever 13.10/13.04 : Satis is a simple static composer repository generator. It is used in any composer.json file as i...0 comments |
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS “Trusty Tahr” Default Wallpaper Revealed!
- Canonical Works with Cisco!
- Android Intercom: An Excellent Intercom App For Bikers Or Hiking Fans
- Install Google Talk Plugin In Fedora 20
- Adding and Deleting Cluster Resources (corosync pacemaker)
- News from Kaspersky Lab: Tor is protecting criminals
- Install Satis On Ubuntu Sever 13.10/13.04
- How To Access A LVM Drive / Partition in Ubuntu
- How To Disable Remember Open Files in Sublime Text 3
- Install Sublime Text 3 In Fedora Easily With Fedy
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .