Install Firefox4 on debian Squeeze
Question : How to install Firefox4 in Debian Squeeze?
Firefox is not the defaut borwser in Debian, in this post we will try to install firefox4.0 from source in Debian Squeeze
First, download Firefox4.0 tarball package
Now, Open terminal and, as root, type the following commands.
remove the iceweasel browser
apt-get remove iceweasel
mv firefox-4.0.tar.bz2 /usr/lib/
tar -jxvf firefox-4.0.tar.bz2
ln -s /usr/lib/firefox/firefox /usr/bin/firefox
If you prefer, you can simplify the above commands by copying/pasting the following text onto your terminal command line:
apt-get remove iceweasel; mv firefox-4.0.tar.bz2 /usr/lib/; cd /usr/lib/; tar -jxvf firefox-4.0.tar.bz2; ln -s /usr/lib/firefox/firefox /usr/bin/firefox
Now, you’ll need to create a symlink from /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/ to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/, using this two-part command (as root):
rm -rf /usr/lib/firefox/plugins; ln -s /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins /usr/lib/firefox/plugins.
Because of some libgtk isssues you have to install some dependencies manually
apt-get install ia32-libs-gtk
now you are ready to start the firefox from the terminal
Add the firefox icon to the menu bar
right click > add to panel> Custum application Luncher >
Comment : firefox
You can change the icon from the /usr/lib/firefox/icons
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Manage Databases And Hosted Servers Remotely With DbNinja : Database administration via command line is bit difficult for newbie system and database administrat...0 comments |
- How To Install Linux Kernel 3.12.4 In Ubuntu : Linux Kernel 3.12.4 has been officially released with fixes for inet6_init() cleanup order, seqlock ...0 comments |
- Install Sayonara Player In Elementary OS / Ubuntu / Linux Mint : Sayonara is a small, clear and fast audio player for Linux written in C++, supported by the Qt frame...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Firefox 26 Has Been Released, How To Install It In Ubuntu And Its Derivates : Hi guys, Firefox 26 has been released for Windows, Mac OS X, Linux and Android devices. It brings m...0 comments |
- Setup Secure FTP Server With MySecureShell
- How To Install Linux Kernel 3.12.4 In Ubuntu
- Firefox 26 Has Been Released, How To Install It In Ubuntu And Its Derivates
- How To Install Brasero In Elementary OS ‘Luna’
- Install Sayonara Player In Elementary OS / Ubuntu / Linux Mint
- Manage Databases And Hosted Servers Remotely With DbNinja
- Install FrostWire 5.6.9 In Elementary OS ‘Luna’/ Ubuntu / Linux Mint
- Setup IT And Asset Management System With GLPI On Debian/Ubuntu
- How To Configure Linux Clients To Authenticate Using OpenLDAP
- How To Install Netflix In Ubuntu
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .