How to Install Viber in Linux using WINE
With Viber, the mobile-to-mobile free call app, announcing a much awaited multi-platform version it is free calls all the way for users who have signed for the service.
Viber is a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) app that is vastly improved feature-by-feature over Skype and WhatsApp. While Skype, as one of the pioneering free-PC to PC calls provider is now taken over by Microsoft, WhatsApp has seen some active expansion in its user base globally in the past one year. With Viber offering a great alternative for calls to migrate from desktop to PC to other devices, it is now the most popular and definitely the most efficient calling service.
The latest multi-device support that Viber now offers for Windows PC and Mac OS can now be easily used by Linux users as well, thanks to WINE.
Viber for PC already allows users to make voice calls, hold video conference calls, one-to-one calls using their PC as well as mobile devices. Video chat with the added ability to send pictures and hold group discussions is an added advantage. What sets Viper for PC apart from other VoIP services is that there is no registration required. The individual’s mobile number is itself considered as the ID and only an authorization code is provided to ensure authentication.
Only that before using on the PC, users will need to have installed Viber on their mobile device. When you are using the PC for the first time with Viber all that needs to be done is to enter the mobile phone number and the authorization code. The PC can then be used to make free calls to mobiles, PC s in any country and any network.
Users can initiate a call from one device, say the mobile and continue to complete the conversation on the PC or vice versa. While Linux users await the official arrival of this super- efficient VoIP service, the alternative is to completely exploit the advantages of porting it through Wine. Typically, WINE is another of the wonderful open-source applications which will allow any native Windows-based games and other apps to be used by Linux users. Currently using WINE, there are a few limitations on how you can use Viber. Both the Webcam and the microphone recognition are rather stilted with WINE. Therefore, Viber is ideal for chatting with friends on Linux desktop.
The WINE installation for Viber on Ubuntu is as follows:
$ sudo apt-get install wine $ wget http://download.cdn.viber.com/cdn/desktop/windows/ViberSetup.exe $ wine ViberSetup.exe
This last command will launch the installation of Viber.
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX : Wow! Early last week it was all over the internet, if you haven't heard it yet then this is the t...0 comments |
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive : A couple of months before, we have featured a Linux client for Google Drive named Syncdrive, which w...1 comment |
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- How To "Fix E: Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status" : QUESTION: I get the following error when I use sudo apt-get update: E: Could not open file /var/...0 comments |
- Install Sublime Text 3 In Fedora Easily With Fedy : Sublime Text is a sophisticated text editor for code, markup and prose. In this tutorial we are goi...0 comments |
- Install nSnake Game In Terminal : From github repo nsnake is a clone of the classic snake game that we all used to play on our cellp...0 comments |
- Install Sublime Text 3 In Fedora Easily With Fedy
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive
- Install nSnake Game In Terminal
- How To “Fix E: Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status”
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .