Install Oracle Java 7 in Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Via PPA
Question: How can I install Oracle Java 7 in Elemetary OS Luna?
Answer: To install Java 7 in Elementary OS Luna follow the steps below:
Since Elementary OS is Ubuntu based we are at liberty to use WEPUD8 PPA which has various Java packages in it.
1. Open Terminal.
2. Run the command below to add Java PPA to your repository:
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java
You are about to add the following PPA to your system: Oracle Java (JDK) Installer (automatically downloads and installs Oracle JDK6 / JDK7 / JDK8). There are no actual Java files in this PPA. More info: http://www.webupd8.org/2012/01/install-oracle-java-jdk-7-in-ubuntu-via.html Debian installation instructions: http://www.webupd8.org/2012/06/how-to-install-oracle-java-7-in-debian.html More info: https://launchpad.net/~webupd8team/+archive/java Press [ENTER] to continue or ctrl-c to cancel adding it
3. Press ENTER to continue
gpg: keyring `/tmp/tmpB5WwDG/secring.gpg' created gpg: keyring `/tmp/tmpB5WwDG/pubring.gpg' created gpg: requesting key EEA14886 from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com gpg: /tmp/tmpB5WwDG/trustdb.gpg: trustdb created gpg: key EEA14886: public key "Launchpad VLC" imported gpg: Total number processed: 1 gpg: imported: 1 (RSA: 1) OK
4. Now update your system
$ sudo apt-get update
5. Install Java 7 by running the command below:
$ sudo apt-get install oracle-java7-installer
[sudo] password for enock: Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required: gir1.2-gstreamer-0.10 libilmbase6 libmagickcore4 libmagickwand4 libcdt4 libmagickcore4-extra liblqr-1-0 imagemagick-common libpathplan4 libopenexr6 rsync netpbm libgvc5 libnetpbm10 libgraph4 Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them. The following extra packages will be installed: gsfonts-x11 java-common Suggested packages: default-jre equivs binfmt-support visualvm ttf-baekmuk ttf-unfonts ttf-unfonts-core ttf-kochi-gothic ttf-sazanami-gothic ttf-kochi-mincho ttf-sazanami-mincho ttf-arphic-uming The following NEW packages will be installed: gsfonts-x11 java-common oracle-java7-installer 0 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 196 not upgraded. Need to get 88.5 kB of archives. After this operation, 473 kB of additional disk space will be used. Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
6. Type Y for Yes and Press enter to continue installation.
7. During the installation, you need to agree to the license to continue. Select OK.
8. Then Select Yes to continue.
9. Now relax for the packages to be downloaded and installed automatically:
$ java -version java version "1.7.0_45" Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_45-b18) Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.45-b08, mixed mode)
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October : For Fedora users, just keep calm and use Fedora 20 for now. Fedora Developers has announced that F...1 comment |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install LAMP Server (Apache, MySQL or MariaDB, PHP) On Ubuntu 13.10 : Updated January 12, 2014 LAMP is a combination of operating system and open-source software stack. ...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- How to Install uTorrent Client on Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint : uTorrent is a lightweight and efficient BitTorrent client for Linux, Windows OS and Mac OS. The inst...0 comments |
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
- Puppet agent Install Using Script
- Install Corosync and Pacemaker On CentOS 6.5
- Install Fail2Ban On Ubuntu Server 13.04/13.10
- How To Install Google Chrome in Fedora 20, 19, 18
- How to surf using Tor Browser Bundle
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .