How to Update Ports in FreeBSD
Normally we are writing more about Linux here at Unixmen. But today, I will give you some tips about the FreeBSD upgrade system and packages.
How to update ports in FreeBSD?
Let me give you some information about my BSD system.
root@:/root # uname -a FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE #0 r243825: Tue Dec 4 09:23:10 UTC 2012 email@example.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64
Portsnap is the best recommendation to upgrade your Ports /usr/ports and extract all new ports on /usr/ports
# portsnap fetch Looking up portsnap.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 6 mirrors found. Fetching public key from ec2-eu-west-1.portsnap.freebsd.org... done. Fetching snapshot tag from ec2-eu-west-1.portsnap.freebsd.org... done. Fetching snapshot metadata... done. Fetching snapshot generated at Sun Apr 14 02:03:58 CEST 2013: 1709e7af6e3a645345b0cad6387bb8cd95e3aa0e90f377100% of 68 MB 2688 kBps 00m00s Extracting snapshot... done. Verifying snapshot integrity... # portsnap extract
If you already have a populated /usr/ports and you are just updating, run the following command instead:
# portsnap fetch update Applying patches... done. Fetching 0 new ports or files... done. Removing old files and directories... done. Extracting new files: /usr/ports/net-mgmt/nagios-check_tftp/ Building new INDEX files... done.
Now you can check which ports are outdated:
# pkg_version -v | grep need mariadb-client-5.3.8 < needs updating (port has 5.3.12) root@:/usr/ports/ #
Next, install portupgrade utility to easily upgrade installed ports:
root@:/usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portupgrade # make install clean ===> Building/installing dialog4ports as it is required for the config dialog ===> Cleaning for dialog4ports-0.1.3 => dialog4ports-0.1.3.tar.gz doesn't seem to exist in /usr/ports/distfiles/. => Attempting to fetch http://m1cro.tk/dialog4ports/dialog4ports-0.1.3.tar.gz dialog4ports-0.1.3.tar.gz 100% of 9743 B 10 kBps ===> Fetching all distfiles required by dialog4ports-0.1.3 for building ===> Extracting for dialog4ports-0.1.3 => SHA256 Checksum OK for dialog4ports-0.1.3.tar.gz.
Scan the list of installed ports and fixes:
# pkgdb -F
If you want to upgrade all outdated ports, then run:
# portupgrade -a
If you want to upgrade only certain applications, use portupgrade pkgname. Include the -R flag.
# portupgrade -R apache
After the installation software, now you have to clean up the temporary work directories using the make clean command:
# portsclean -C
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October : For Fedora users, just keep calm and use Fedora 20 for now. Fedora Developers has announced that F...1 comment |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install LAMP Server (Apache, MySQL or MariaDB, PHP) On Ubuntu 13.10 : Updated January 12, 2014 LAMP is a combination of operating system and open-source software stack. ...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- How to Install uTorrent Client on Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint : uTorrent is a lightweight and efficient BitTorrent client for Linux, Windows OS and Mac OS. The inst...0 comments |
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
- Puppet agent Install Using Script
- Install Corosync and Pacemaker On CentOS 6.5
- Install Fail2Ban On Ubuntu Server 13.04/13.10
- How To Install Google Chrome in Fedora 20, 19, 18
- How to surf using Tor Browser Bundle
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .