How to install the longhorn transformation pack on Ubuntu
Longhorn was a concept by Microsoft that never came into being. However, based on the designer concepts released back then, an Ubuntu transformation pack is available. It’s only a beta, however, it promises some very stunning visual changes.
As of the latest beta, it now includes a script to handle the installation itself, turning the tedious process into a simple one.
The pack comes with the following items inside it and requires them each to be installed:
- Aero-Style GTK Themes
- Windows fonts and icons
- Screenlets and the sidebar
- The Emerald Theme for GTK
- Transparency enabled GTK
- Gnomenu and Longhorn Menu theme
Warning: There are known issues when installing one of those packages, please be careful while using them. For example There are:
The RGBA GTK(Transparent) theme is incompatible with many common general use applications.
Lets start with the installation
We need to start with downloading the relevant software package to our system. Enter the following in your terminal.
$ wget http://lhlinux.org/downloads/lhde-build-4000.zip
After download is complete, we need to unzip it.
$ unzip lhde*
After the process is done, cd the directory where you extracxted the packages, and run install.sh
These can be done through the GUI or through the terminal.
$ cd lhde*
$ sh install.sh
Alternatively, you may click on install.sh instead. When prompted to execute, choose ‘run in terminal’.
This release is in beta, so minimal amounts of caution while using it is advised. It’s advised to keep backups of important files should anything go wrong.
Image courtesy of lhlinux.org(Software author)
Thanks again to Convexity for this post
Useful Links: http://www.lhlinux.org/
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Manage Databases And Hosted Servers Remotely With DbNinja : Database administration via command line is bit difficult for newbie system and database administrat...0 comments |
- Install Sayonara Player In Elementary OS / Ubuntu / Linux Mint : Sayonara is a small, clear and fast audio player for Linux written in C++, supported by the Qt frame...0 comments |
- How To Install Linux Kernel 3.12.4 In Ubuntu : Linux Kernel 3.12.4 has been officially released with fixes for inet6_init() cleanup order, seqlock ...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Firefox 26 Has Been Released, How To Install It In Ubuntu And Its Derivates : Hi guys, Firefox 26 has been released for Windows, Mac OS X, Linux and Android devices. It brings m...0 comments |
- How To Install Linux Kernel 3.12.4 In Ubuntu
- Firefox 26 Has Been Released, How To Install It In Ubuntu And Its Derivates
- How To Install Brasero In Elementary OS ‘Luna’
- Install Sayonara Player In Elementary OS / Ubuntu / Linux Mint
- Manage Databases And Hosted Servers Remotely With DbNinja
- Install FrostWire 5.6.9 In Elementary OS ‘Luna’/ Ubuntu / Linux Mint
- Setup IT And Asset Management System With GLPI On Debian/Ubuntu
- How To Configure Linux Clients To Authenticate Using OpenLDAP
- How To Install Netflix In Ubuntu
- cowsay And fortune Combined Together
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .