How to install the longhorn transformation pack on Ubuntu
Longhorn was a concept by Microsoft that never came into being. However, based on the designer concepts released back then, an Ubuntu transformation pack is available. It’s only a beta, however, it promises some very stunning visual changes.
As of the latest beta, it now includes a script to handle the installation itself, turning the tedious process into a simple one.
The pack comes with the following items inside it and requires them each to be installed:
- Aero-Style GTK Themes
- Windows fonts and icons
- Screenlets and the sidebar
- The Emerald Theme for GTK
- Transparency enabled GTK
- Gnomenu and Longhorn Menu theme
Warning: There are known issues when installing one of those packages, please be careful while using them. For example There are:
The RGBA GTK(Transparent) theme is incompatible with many common general use applications.
Lets start with the installation
We need to start with downloading the relevant software package to our system. Enter the following in your terminal.
$ wget http://lhlinux.org/downloads/lhde-build-4000.zip
After download is complete, we need to unzip it.
$ unzip lhde*
After the process is done, cd the directory where you extracxted the packages, and run install.sh
These can be done through the GUI or through the terminal.
$ cd lhde*
$ sh install.sh
Alternatively, you may click on install.sh instead. When prompted to execute, choose ‘run in terminal’.
This release is in beta, so minimal amounts of caution while using it is advised. It’s advised to keep backups of important files should anything go wrong.
Image courtesy of lhlinux.org(Software author)
Thanks again to Convexity for this post
Useful Links: http://www.lhlinux.org/
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX : Wow! Early last week it was all over the internet, if you haven't heard it yet then this is the t...1 comment |
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive : A couple of months before, we have featured a Linux client for Google Drive named Syncdrive, which w...1 comment |
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- How To "Fix E: Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status" : QUESTION: I get the following error when I use sudo apt-get update: E: Could not open file /var/...0 comments |
- Install Sublime Text 3 In Fedora Easily With Fedy : Sublime Text is a sophisticated text editor for code, markup and prose. In this tutorial we are goi...0 comments |
- Install nSnake Game In Terminal : From github repo nsnake is a clone of the classic snake game that we all used to play on our cellp...0 comments |
- Install Sublime Text 3 In Fedora Easily With Fedy
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive
- Install nSnake Game In Terminal
- How To “Fix E: Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status”
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .