Firefox 16, a treat for developers http://t.co/cnd27CzT
How to install the longhorn transformation pack on Ubuntu
Longhorn was a concept by Microsoft that never came into being. However, based on the designer concepts released back then, an Ubuntu transformation pack is available. It’s only a beta, however, it promises some very stunning visual changes.
As of the latest beta, it now includes a script to handle the installation itself, turning the tedious process into a simple one.
The pack comes with the following items inside it and requires them each to be installed:
- Aero-Style GTK Themes
- Windows fonts and icons
- Screenlets and the sidebar
- The Emerald Theme for GTK
- Transparency enabled GTK
- Gnomenu and Longhorn Menu theme
Warning: There are known issues when installing one of those packages, please be careful while using them. For example There are:
The RGBA GTK(Transparent) theme is incompatible with many common general use applications.
Lets start with the installation
We need to start with downloading the relevant software package to our system. Enter the following in your terminal.
$ wget http://lhlinux.org/downloads/lhde-build-4000.zip
After download is complete, we need to unzip it.
$ unzip lhde*
After the process is done, cd the directory where you extracxted the packages, and run install.sh
These can be done through the GUI or through the terminal.
$ cd lhde*
$ sh install.sh
Alternatively, you may click on install.sh instead. When prompted to execute, choose ‘run in terminal’.
This release is in beta, so minimal amounts of caution while using it is advised. It’s advised to keep backups of important files should anything go wrong.
Image courtesy of lhlinux.org(Software author)
Thanks again to Convexity for this post
Useful Links: http://www.lhlinux.org/
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things to do After Installing Ubuntu 13.04 ‘Raring Ringtail’ : Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail final is almost out. The final release it scheduled for release on Apri...0 comment(s) |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comment(s) |
- Howto: Upgrade to Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail from 12.04, 12,10 | Desktop & Server : Updated 05-04-2013: Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail will be released Soon, If you have ubuntu 12,10, 12...0 comment(s) |
- Steganography- Hide Your Files Inside An Image in Linux : Nowadays, our personal computer is not only a work tool, it is also our private space where we sto...1 comment(s) |
- Scan Your Home Network With Nmap : Who should read this article? Everyone who is interested in computer security and computer networkin...0 comment(s) |
- How to use Remote Desktop in Ubuntu : Sometimes, we need to access our computer from other locations when we’re not at home and such. This...0 comment(s) |
- Secure File from Removal in Linux and Unix
- How to Install Nginx on FreeBSD 9.x
- Create a Launcher in Ubuntu Using Bash
- Scan Your Home Network With Nmap
- Steganography- Hide Your Files Inside An Image in Linux
- Unix/Linux File Recognition. Did You Know?
- Migrate from MySQL to MariaDB in FreeBSD
- Connect Your Android Galaxy Tablet to Ubuntu via USB
- ElementaryOS Beta 1 and 2 Comparison and Review
- Introduction to the Linux Command Line
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .