How to Install Latest GIT on RHEL 6/CentOS 6
So you want to setup a GIT Repository for your developers on RHEL 6/CentOS 6, but notice Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 contains 1.7.1 in the repositories, which is well behind the current 1.8.3 that is available for GIT at http://git-scm.com.
Well no need to worry, it is easy enough to download and install the latest on a typical RHEL/CentOS installation.
First let’s download all the files that are required for GIT installation:
$ wget http://git-core.googlecode.com/files/git-220.127.116.11.tar.gz $ wget -O git-manpages-18.104.22.168.tar.gz http://code.google.com/p/git-core/downloads/detail?name=git-manpages-22.214.171.124.tar.gz&can=2&q=
Next, install all required libraries before building GIT:
$ sudo yum install zlib-devel perl-CPAN gettext
Now let’s untar and build and install GIT in the /usr directory:
$ tar xvfz git-126.96.36.199.tar.gz $ cd git-188.8.131.52 $ ./configure $ make $ sudo make prefix=/usr install $ git --version git version 184.108.40.206
That’s all you need and now you are ready to configure your repository for access and start developing!
Now if you want to update GIT you can do that using GIT itself:
$ git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/git/git.git
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Manage Databases And Hosted Servers Remotely With DbNinja : Database administration via command line is bit difficult for newbie system and database administrat...0 comments |
- Install Sayonara Player In Elementary OS / Ubuntu / Linux Mint : Sayonara is a small, clear and fast audio player for Linux written in C++, supported by the Qt frame...0 comments |
- How To Install Linux Kernel 3.12.4 In Ubuntu : Linux Kernel 3.12.4 has been officially released with fixes for inet6_init() cleanup order, seqlock ...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Firefox 26 Has Been Released, How To Install It In Ubuntu And Its Derivates : Hi guys, Firefox 26 has been released for Windows, Mac OS X, Linux and Android devices. It brings m...0 comments |
- How To Install Linux Kernel 3.12.4 In Ubuntu
- Firefox 26 Has Been Released, How To Install It In Ubuntu And Its Derivates
- How To Install Brasero In Elementary OS ‘Luna’
- Install Sayonara Player In Elementary OS / Ubuntu / Linux Mint
- Manage Databases And Hosted Servers Remotely With DbNinja
- Install FrostWire 5.6.9 In Elementary OS ‘Luna’/ Ubuntu / Linux Mint
- Setup IT And Asset Management System With GLPI On Debian/Ubuntu
- How To Configure Linux Clients To Authenticate Using OpenLDAP
- How To Install Netflix In Ubuntu
- cowsay And fortune Combined Together
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .