How to Install Latest GIT on RHEL 6/CentOS 6
So you want to setup a GIT Repository for your developers on RHEL 6/CentOS 6, but notice Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 contains 1.7.1 in the repositories, which is well behind the current 1.8.3 that is available for GIT at http://git-scm.com.
Well no need to worry, it is easy enough to download and install the latest on a typical RHEL/CentOS installation.
First let’s download all the files that are required for GIT installation:
$ wget http://git-core.googlecode.com/files/git-188.8.131.52.tar.gz $ wget -O git-manpages-184.108.40.206.tar.gz http://code.google.com/p/git-core/downloads/detail?name=git-manpages-220.127.116.11.tar.gz&can=2&q=
Next, install all required libraries before building GIT:
$ sudo yum install zlib-devel perl-CPAN gettext
Now let’s untar and build and install GIT in the /usr directory:
$ tar xvfz git-18.104.22.168.tar.gz $ cd git-22.214.171.124 $ ./configure $ make $ sudo make prefix=/usr install $ git --version git version 126.96.36.199
That’s all you need and now you are ready to configure your repository for access and start developing!
Now if you want to update GIT you can do that using GIT itself:
$ git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/git/git.git
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Install Fail2Ban On Ubuntu Server 13.04/13.10 : Introduction Fail2Ban is an intrusion prevention framework written in the Python programming l...0 comments |
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful : Running a business can be very stressful. You have to think about team collaboration, making sure th...0 comments |
- install Git in Ubuntu : Git is a distributed revision control system with an emphasis on speed. Git was initially designed a...0 comments |
- Install Crashplan backup tool in Linux : CashPlan is an automated backup solution that either uses the CrashPlan Central server or any other ...0 comments |
- Install Corosync and Pacemaker On CentOS 6.5 : I will show you in this tutorial how to install your first cluster Corosync and the Linux Cluster Ma...0 comments |
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
- Puppet agent Install Using Script
- Install Corosync and Pacemaker On CentOS 6.5
- Install Fail2Ban On Ubuntu Server 13.04/13.10
- How To Install Google Chrome in Fedora 20, 19, 18
- How to surf using Tor Browser Bundle
- New Games got Greenlit on Linux by Steam Today!
- Linux Basics: Zypper Usage On openSUSE
- GNOME’s 3.12 supports Google Cloud Print
- How to enable 32-bit support for 64-bit Ubuntu 13.10 or greater
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .