How to Install Latest GIT on RHEL 6/CentOS 6
So you want to setup a GIT Repository for your developers on RHEL 6/CentOS 6, but notice Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 contains 1.7.1 in the repositories, which is well behind the current 1.8.3 that is available for GIT at http://git-scm.com.
Well no need to worry, it is easy enough to download and install the latest on a typical RHEL/CentOS installation.
First let’s download all the files that are required for GIT installation:
$ wget http://git-core.googlecode.com/files/git-126.96.36.199.tar.gz $ wget -O git-manpages-188.8.131.52.tar.gz http://code.google.com/p/git-core/downloads/detail?name=git-manpages-184.108.40.206.tar.gz&can=2&q=
Next, install all required libraries before building GIT:
$ sudo yum install zlib-devel perl-CPAN gettext
Now let’s untar and build and install GIT in the /usr directory:
$ tar xvfz git-220.127.116.11.tar.gz $ cd git-18.104.22.168 $ ./configure $ make $ sudo make prefix=/usr install $ git --version git version 22.214.171.124
That’s all you need and now you are ready to configure your repository for access and start developing!
Now if you want to update GIT you can do that using GIT itself:
$ git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/git/git.git
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install LAMP Server (Apache, MySQL or MariaDB, PHP) On Ubuntu 13.10 : Updated January 12, 2014 LAMP is a combination of operating system and open-source software stack. ...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- DNS Server Installation Step by Step Using CentOS 6.5/6.4/6.3 : DNS, Domain Name System, translates hostnames or URLs into IP addresses. For example if we type www....0 comments |
- How to Install uTorrent Client on Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint : uTorrent is a lightweight and efficient BitTorrent client for Linux, Windows OS and Mac OS. The inst...0 comments |
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
- Puppet agent Install Using Script
- Install Corosync and Pacemaker On CentOS 6.5
- Install Fail2Ban On Ubuntu Server 13.04/13.10
- How To Install Google Chrome in Fedora 20, 19, 18
- How to surf using Tor Browser Bundle
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .