How to install Gnome3 in Ubuntu 11.04 Natty via PPA
Everybody knows that Ubuntu11.04 has Unity as default desktop, with the arrival of Gnome 3, many users want to test this in Ubuntu11.04 Natty. In this quick post will show you how to install Gnome3 on Ubuntu11.04 Natty.
Default desktop of Ubuntu11.04
Note that this PPA will not work in earlier releases of Ubuntu.
Installation of Gnome3 in Ubuntu 11.04 Natty
THERE IS NO DOWNGRADE PATH. THIS HAS NO WARRANTY, AND IT COULD SERIOUSLY MESS THINGS UP.
1) Obtain a clean, fresh installation of the latest 11.04 Natty Narwhal
beta. Perform all applicable updates.
2) Configure the system to NOT login automatically. This is needed so that you can choose what kind of session you want. If you do not do this, you will still be stuck with unity. This can be changed under system>preferences>login screen.
3) Add the UGR Repositories:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntugnometeam/gnome3
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntugnometeam/ppa-gen
sudo apt-get update
4) Install UGR
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install ugr-desktop-g3 gnome-shell
sudo apt-get upgrade
5) Reboot. You should see “GNOME 3″ and “GNOME shell” as a session
option in the login screen.
after the installation is done, restart your session.
Usefull Links: lffl.org, gnome3
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Install Fail2Ban On Ubuntu Server 13.04/13.10 : Introduction Fail2Ban is an intrusion prevention framework written in the Python programming l...0 comments |
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful : Running a business can be very stressful. You have to think about team collaboration, making sure th...0 comments |
- install Git in Ubuntu : Git is a distributed revision control system with an emphasis on speed. Git was initially designed a...0 comments |
- Install Crashplan backup tool in Linux : CashPlan is an automated backup solution that either uses the CrashPlan Central server or any other ...0 comments |
- Install Corosync and Pacemaker On CentOS 6.5 : I will show you in this tutorial how to install your first cluster Corosync and the Linux Cluster Ma...0 comments |
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
- Puppet agent Install Using Script
- Install Corosync and Pacemaker On CentOS 6.5
- Install Fail2Ban On Ubuntu Server 13.04/13.10
- How To Install Google Chrome in Fedora 20, 19, 18
- How to surf using Tor Browser Bundle
- New Games got Greenlit on Linux by Steam Today!
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .