How to install Gnome3 in Ubuntu 11.04 Natty via PPA
Everybody knows that Ubuntu11.04 has Unity as default desktop, with the arrival of Gnome 3, many users want to test this in Ubuntu11.04 Natty. In this quick post will show you how to install Gnome3 on Ubuntu11.04 Natty.
Default desktop of Ubuntu11.04
Note that this PPA will not work in earlier releases of Ubuntu.
Installation of Gnome3 in Ubuntu 11.04 Natty
THERE IS NO DOWNGRADE PATH. THIS HAS NO WARRANTY, AND IT COULD SERIOUSLY MESS THINGS UP.
1) Obtain a clean, fresh installation of the latest 11.04 Natty Narwhal
beta. Perform all applicable updates.
2) Configure the system to NOT login automatically. This is needed so that you can choose what kind of session you want. If you do not do this, you will still be stuck with unity. This can be changed under system>preferences>login screen.
3) Add the UGR Repositories:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntugnometeam/gnome3
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntugnometeam/ppa-gen
sudo apt-get update
4) Install UGR
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install ugr-desktop-g3 gnome-shell
sudo apt-get upgrade
5) Reboot. You should see “GNOME 3″ and “GNOME shell” as a session
option in the login screen.
after the installation is done, restart your session.
Usefull Links: lffl.org, gnome3
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- How To Show Username On Panel In Ubuntu 13.04/13.10 : By default usernames are not displayed on panel in Ubuntu 13.04 and 13.10, In this simple tutorial w...0 comments |
- Setup DNS Server On openSUSE 13.1 : What is DNS Server? As you might know, DNS, Domain Name System, is a system that resolves Domain ...0 comments |
- cowsay And fortune Combined Together : Hi linux geeks! In this article I will teach you a nice trick you can perform in the terminal with ...0 comments |
- cowsay And fortune Combined Together
- How To Show Username On Panel In Ubuntu 13.04/13.10
- Setup DNS Server On openSUSE 13.1
- TeamViewer 9 Final Has Been Released!
- Twelve Vulnerabilities Have Been Fixed In Ubuntu 12.04, Time To Update
- OpenLDAP Installation and Configuration in Ubuntu 12.10/13.04/13.10 And Debian 6/7
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint
- Setup A Full Featured ITIL Management System Using Integria IMS On CentOS 6
- Install LibreOffice 4.1.3 in Elementary OS ‘Luna’
- How To Install Simple Scan in Crunchbang ‘Waldorf’
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .