How to install AMD Catalyst 12.8 in Ubuntu
First off, this is the proprietary driver for AMD Radeon HD owners, version AMD Catalyst 12.8. So far, there is not solution for GNOME 3 tearing problem… just minor bugfixes included though.
If this is your first install, you need these
sudo apt-get install build-essential cdbs dh-make dkms sudo apt-get install execstack dh-modaliases fakeroot libqtgui4
In case of are 64 bit Operating System, install these too
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs ia32-libs-multiarch:i386 sudo apt-get install lib32gcc1 libc6-i386 cd /usr ; sudo ln -svT lib /usr/lib64
Then browse intoyour Downloads folder where is the driver located and run the executable
chmod +x amd-driver-installer-8.982-x86.x86_64.run
Create and install deb packages
sudo sh ./amd-driver-installer-8.982-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/precise sudo dpkg -i fglrx*.deb
Warning, if you are upgrading from an older Catalyst version, you should run:
sudo sh ./amd-driver-installer-8.982-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/precise sudo dpkg --force-overwrite -i *.deb
Now, please Enable new settings
sudo aticonfig --initial -f
Reboot you PC and you are ready to go ;)
— Otherwise —, if you are not into building deb packages and such stuff, then you are advised to to insert the xorg-edgers PPA and search for the new fglrx package
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get upgrade sudo apt-get install fglrx-installer
If this is the case, just be sure you have purged the PPA before upgrading to the next version of Ubuntu (such as Ubuntu 12.10).
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint : Tor, The Onion Router, is a network of Virtual Tunnels that allows users to communicate securely and...2 comments |
- Setup A Full Featured ITIL Management System Using Integria IMS On CentOS 6 : Integria IMS is a fully featured ITIL management system, featuring a ticketing system, inventory/C...2 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- Install and Configure Samba share in Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' , 13.04| Howto : Updated 05-04-2013: One of the most asked features for Samba is a graphical user interface to help w...0 comments |
- OpenLDAP Installation and Configuration in Ubuntu 12.10/13.04/13.10 And Debian 6/7
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint
- Setup A Full Featured ITIL Management System Using Integria IMS On CentOS 6
- Install LibreOffice 4.1.3 in Elementary OS ‘Luna’
- How To Install Simple Scan in Crunchbang ‘Waldorf’
- Selene Media Encoder: Convert Audio, Video Files To Most Popular Formats
- Linux Kernel 3.12.2 Is Available For Download! Install / Upgrade Instructions
- CentOS 6.5 Has Been Officially Released!
- Format Junkie: Convert Media Files To All Popular Formats
- Setup Squid Proxy Server On openSUSE 13.1
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .