Fedora 17 Beta Review
The Beta version of Fedora 17, codenamed “The Beefy Miracle” was released a few days ago. Many of the popular applications have been upgraded to their latest (and in some cases, pre-release versions).
Fedora 17 comes with the newest versions of the popular Desktop Environments, Gnome Desktop and KDE Plasma Desktop, (3.4 and 4.8 respectively). They come with many improvements that enhances the user experience.
Improvements for the Gnome Desktop App Menus, A virtualization application called “Boxes ” and some little fixes in the user interface.
KDE 4.8 also has a slew of improvements like adaptive power management, an Instant Messenger suite called KDE-Telepathy, kwin optimizations and a rewritten version of “Dolphin”, the file manager, among many others.
The default applications remain more or less the same, Firefox, Shotwell, Evolution, etc are still the default browser, picture manager and email client respectively.
The next major version of GIMP, the GNU Image Manipulation Program, 2.8, is available in the repositories (and the install DVD), which brings the much touted “Single Window Mode” , Layer Sets, On-canvas Editing support, among hundreds of new features. There are also, several technical improvements very relevant to the User.
Fedora now uses the Unified structure of organizing the file system. It means, that several directories like “/bin”, “/lib” and “/sbin” have been moved to “/usr/bin” etc. respectively.
Firewalld and Systemd are the new default firewall and init systems of Fedora .
Fedora 17 uses the Linux Kernel version 3.3, which has better ext4(volumes above 16 Tb allowed now) and btrfs support.
Power Management has also gone through a lot of improvement, and it shows.
The Desktop version, apparently, has “Multitouch” support now. ( http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Multitouch_support )
For Developers, the new toolchain is based on the recently released GCC-4.7. Newer versions of Ruby(1.93), D, Erlang, PHP and Java(7) are supported. The next version of the popular IDE, Eclipse, codenamed Juno is also available.
The Cloud Computing and Virtualization stacks have seen a major overhaul and comes with many new software important for enterprise users.
Screenshots Tour (Default- Gnome Desktop)
Overall, this beta of Fedora 17 feels unusually stable and is feature rich and fast (unexpectedly, on older hardware) . The name “The Beefy Miracle”, is not an misnomer in any way.
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04 : Power Commands, power management application created by the Atareao team , this app helps users to...0 comments |
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian : uGet is a very light-weight and powerful open source download manager. On March 4th, 2014 Uget Do...0 comments |
- Install Crashplan backup tool in Linux : CashPlan is an automated backup solution that either uses the CrashPlan Central server or any other ...0 comments |
- Download Elementary OS 'Luna' Official Wallpapers : Hi Guys, Am a great lover of Elementary OS, so I like to move almost everywhere with some its beaut...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
- Puppet agent Install Using Script
- Install Corosync and Pacemaker On CentOS 6.5
- Install Fail2Ban On Ubuntu Server 13.04/13.10
- How To Install Google Chrome in Fedora 20, 19, 18
- How to surf using Tor Browser Bundle
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .