Failed to Mount Windows NTFS: Operation Not Permitted
I got this issue when trying to mount a Windows disk in Linux. I have dual-boot Linux Mint 15 with Windows 8.
pc-mint ~ # mount -t ntfs /dev/sda3 /media/mohamed/D The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0). Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount. Failed to mount '/dev/sda3': Operation not permitted The NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume read-only with the 'ro' mount option.
The problem is due to the new Windows 8 feature called “fast-startup”. When fast-startup is enabled, part of the metadata of all mounted partitions are restored to the state they were at during the previous shutdown. As a consequence, changes made on Linux may be lost. This can happen on any partition of an internal disk when leaving Windows 8, by selecting “Shutdown” or “Hibernate”. Leaving Windows 8 by selecting “Restart” however, is apparently safe.
To enable writing to the partitions on other operating systems, be sure the fast restarting of Windows 8 is disabled. This can be achieved by issuing as an Administrator the following command:
powercfg /h off
Reboot your machine and boot to Ubuntu or Linux Mint.
For read only support:
pc-mint ~ # mount -t ntfs -o ro /dev/sda3 /media/mohamed/D
pc-mint ~ # ls /media/mohamed/D Akeeba bookmark.htm FOTOS HTC Foto's recovered-19-5-2012 System Volume Information Torrents ASKbot CarotDAV found.000 Mail $RECYCLE.BIN The Three Musketeers (2011) DVDRip XviD-MAXSPEED VBOX askfix decoratie found.001 New folder (2) Scans TibcooCorses Vmware backup FAMILY_VIDEO Gentoo 12.1 prv Software Tor-Browser wamp
Check write access:
pc-mint ~ $ touch /media/mohamed/D/example touch: cannot touch ‘/media/mohamed/D/example’: Read-only file system
For full read/write support:
pc-mint ~ $ ntfs-3g /dev/sda3 /media/mohamed/D
To automate the mount of the device in next reboot, add to /etc/fstab:
/dev/sda3 /media/mohamed/D ntfs-3g auto,gid=1000,unmask=0002 0 0
You can add other disks if you like.
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- OpenLDAP Installation and Configuration in Ubuntu 12.10/13.04/13.10 And Debian 6/7 : OpenLDAP is a free open source Light Weight Directory Access protocol developed by the OpenLDAP proj...0 comments |
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint : Tor, The Onion Router, is a network of Virtual Tunnels that allows users to communicate securely and...1 comment |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- Setup A Full Featured ITIL Management System Using Integria IMS On CentOS 6 : Integria IMS is a fully featured ITIL management system, featuring a ticketing system, inventory/C...2 comments |
- OpenLDAP Installation and Configuration in Ubuntu 12.10/13.04/13.10 And Debian 6/7
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint
- Setup A Full Featured ITIL Management System Using Integria IMS On CentOS 6
- Install LibreOffice 4.1.3 in Elementary OS ‘Luna’
- How To Install Simple Scan in Crunchbang ‘Waldorf’
- Selene Media Encoder: Convert Audio, Video Files To Most Popular Formats
- Linux Kernel 3.12.2 Is Available For Download! Install / Upgrade Instructions
- CentOS 6.5 Has Been Officially Released!
- Format Junkie: Convert Media Files To All Popular Formats
- Setup Squid Proxy Server On openSUSE 13.1
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .