How To Empty Trash From Terminal in Ubuntu
Hello Guys, As you and I always say and we will continue to say. “The command line is power” yes the command line is really power even more.
Today am going to share with you a command line skill of emptying Trash in Ubuntu. I have not tried it on other distros. If it works, good.
Launch Terminal (ctrl + alt + t).
In your home directory from the time. Run the command below:
$ cd /.local/share/Trash
First of all all these directories perform a special function in the background which GUI Trash doesn’t show you.
Now assuming I have deleted a file or folder it will currently be located in files.
Now since we know all that are in Trash now is what we want remove, we can quickly run the command below to remove everything (including all those three directories)
enock@enock-pc:~/.local/share/Trash$ rm -rf *
enock@enock-pc:~$ rm -rf ~/.local/share/Trash/files/*
enock@enock-pc:~$ rm -rf ~/.local/share/Trash/*
But Note: These three directories are system directories so they will always be available anytime you push something to Trash. You can verify by repeating the steps treated earlier after moving something to Trash.
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Twelve Vulnerabilities Have Been Fixed In Ubuntu 12.04, Time To Update : Canonical has released security updates for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and advices to update your system as so...0 comments |
- TeamViewer 9 Final Has Been Released! : TeamViewer is a commercial all-in-one software that can be used for remote control, desktop sharing,...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint : Tor, The Onion Router, is a network of Virtual Tunnels that allows users to communicate securely and...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- TeamViewer 9 Final Has Been Released!
- Twelve Vulnerabilities Have Been Fixed In Ubuntu 12.04, Time To Update
- OpenLDAP Installation and Configuration in Ubuntu 12.10/13.04/13.10 And Debian 6/7
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint
- Setup A Full Featured ITIL Management System Using Integria IMS On CentOS 6
- Install LibreOffice 4.1.3 in Elementary OS ‘Luna’
- How To Install Simple Scan in Crunchbang ‘Waldorf’
- Selene Media Encoder: Convert Audio, Video Files To Most Popular Formats
- Linux Kernel 3.12.2 Is Available For Download! Install / Upgrade Instructions
- CentOS 6.5 Has Been Officially Released!
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .