How To Empty Trash From Terminal in Ubuntu
Hello Guys, As you and I always say and we will continue to say. “The command line is power” yes the command line is really power even more.
Today am going to share with you a command line skill of emptying Trash in Ubuntu. I have not tried it on other distros. If it works, good.
Launch Terminal (ctrl + alt + t).
In your home directory from the time. Run the command below:
$ cd /.local/share/Trash
First of all all these directories perform a special function in the background which GUI Trash doesn’t show you.
Now assuming I have deleted a file or folder it will currently be located in files.
Now since we know all that are in Trash now is what we want remove, we can quickly run the command below to remove everything (including all those three directories)
enock@enock-pc:~/.local/share/Trash$ rm -rf *
enock@enock-pc:~$ rm -rf ~/.local/share/Trash/files/*
enock@enock-pc:~$ rm -rf ~/.local/share/Trash/*
But Note: These three directories are system directories so they will always be available anytime you push something to Trash. You can verify by repeating the steps treated earlier after moving something to Trash.
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04 : Power Commands, power management application created by the Atareao team , this app helps users to...0 comments |
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian : uGet is a very light-weight and powerful open source download manager. On March 4th, 2014 Uget Do...0 comments |
- Install Crashplan backup tool in Linux : CashPlan is an automated backup solution that either uses the CrashPlan Central server or any other ...0 comments |
- Download Elementary OS 'Luna' Official Wallpapers : Hi Guys, Am a great lover of Elementary OS, so I like to move almost everywhere with some its beaut...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
- Puppet agent Install Using Script
- Install Corosync and Pacemaker On CentOS 6.5
- Install Fail2Ban On Ubuntu Server 13.04/13.10
- How To Install Google Chrome in Fedora 20, 19, 18
- How to surf using Tor Browser Bundle
- New Games got Greenlit on Linux by Steam Today!
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .