Downloading Made Easy And Fast With Apt-Proz And ProZilla
So you’re using Ubuntu or Ubuntu derivatives and want to install/update/upgrade packages, what are you going to do? The answer is very simple and we all know the answer: apt-get. We can install packages using command: apt-get install <package-name>, update packages with command: apt-get update, or upgrade using command: apt-get upgrade. This is the default and traditional method of Ubuntu.
Suppose if you’re not happy with the speed of apt-get, you can use apt-fast instead. Apt-fast is simple shell script that increases the apt-get and aptitude download speed. For more details check out our previous tutorial about apt-fast here.
Well, today we will see some other tool called apt-proz that can be used to speed up the download speed of apt-get. apt-proz is a shell script similar to apt-fast that increases the download speed of apt-get and aptitude by many times(atleast for the developer!). While apt-fast uses Axel or aria2c download manager, apt-proz uses ProZilla download accelerator instead.
ProZilla is a full featured command line download accelerator for Linux operating systems. It downloads a files by splitting into multiple pieces and downloads them simultaneously form multiple connections. It supports pause/resume, http/ftp protocols.
- Supports FTP.
- Supports HTTP including redirection.
- Proxy servers supported.
- Resume Supported.
- Improved error checking and correction.
- Complete acceleration: The file will be downloaded as fast as possible as your bandwidth allows.
- FTP passwords can be specified with the URL, or can be obtained automatically from the .netrc if it exists.
- The number of connections that prozilla uses can be changed.
Install ProZilla and Apt-proz on Ubuntu / Linux Mint
We can install the ProZilla and Apt-Proz on Ubuntu and its derivatives using PPA as shown below.
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tahutek-team/prozilla $ sudo apt-get update $ sudo apt-get install prozilla apt-proz
If you encounter with an conflicting error that says: “locale.alias”, you can resolve this error as by manually installing the deb file as shown below:
$ cd /var/cache/apt/archives/ $ sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite prozilla*.deb $ sudo apt-get install -f
Let us how to use ProZilla.
$ proz <options> <download-url>
I am going to download Ubuntu 13.10 ISO using Prozilla, so the command would be:
$ proz http://releases.ubuntu.com/saucy/ubuntu-13.10-desktop-amd64.iso
To resume the download use ‘r’ flag.
$ proz -r http://releases.ubuntu.com/saucy/ubuntu-13.10-desktop-amd64.iso
To limit the download speed in bits, use argument –max-bps as shown below.
$ proz --max-bps=51200 http://releases.ubuntu.com/saucy/ubuntu-13.10-desktop-amd64.iso
For more detailed usage, enter the following command in Terminal:
$ proz --help
Apt-proz usage is fairly simple and similar to apt-get usage. We can use this as the way we use apt-get command.
To install a package, hit the following command:
$ sudo apt-proz install <package-name>
To update system:
$ sudo apt-proz update
To upgrade system:
$ sudo apt-proz upgrade
For more details, refer the man pages.
$ man prozilla
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- News from Kaspersky Lab: Tor is protecting criminals : In a previous article I wrote a bit about Tor. Free browser, relays bouncing your IP all over the ...1 comment |
- How To Access A LVM Drive / Partition in Ubuntu : Hey Guys, I installed Fedora on an external drive (LVM) recently and was trying to access it from U...0 comments |
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive : A couple of months before, we have featured a Linux client for Google Drive named Syncdrive, which w...2 comments |
- Adding and Deleting Cluster Resources (corosync pacemaker) : In our previous tutorial, we have shown you how to install corosync and pacemaker. We will show y...0 comments |
- Install Satis On Ubuntu Sever 13.10/13.04 : Satis is a simple static composer repository generator. It is used in any composer.json file as i...0 comments |
- Adding and Deleting Cluster Resources (corosync pacemaker)
- News from Kaspersky Lab: Tor is protecting criminals
- Install Satis On Ubuntu Sever 13.10/13.04
- How To Access A LVM Drive / Partition in Ubuntu
- How To Disable Remember Open Files in Sublime Text 3
- Install Sublime Text 3 In Fedora Easily With Fedy
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive
- Install nSnake Game In Terminal
- How To “Fix E: Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status”
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .