Firefox 16, a treat for developers http://t.co/cnd27CzT
Canonical abandons ShipIt program! NO MORE FREE CDs
to apply for a free CD claiming “Technology moves on and as we look at ways to spread Ubuntu further, a CD distribution programme, especially one of that size and delivered in that way, makes less sense.” Another reason they provided for this termination is excessive administrative load the team is facing owing to ShipIt program.
Canonical also claims that for last two years, it had been “slowly easing back” the program by putting a limit to free CDs delivered per person and number of times a person is eligible to apply for a CD. However, now, Canonical has completely put an end tothis program.
ShipIt program, launched back in 2005 was aimed at making mass-Ubuntu-adoption possible that was primarily hindered by progressing broadband technology; “that was a marketing promise even in the most connected parts of the most developed nations” then. Since then, Canonical through its ShipIt program has made millions of free CDs that were delivered to any part of the world free of cost!
The free CDs will be only avail be to the Ubuntu Local communities (LoCos) via ShipIt lite program. Canonical has also appealed the LoCos to innovate ways so that they can provide Cds to individuals who need them. However, this will not be applicable to all LoCos. Jono Bacon, Cononical community manager, points out that only LoCo teams who “have demonstrated significant ..contributions, will be eligible. “We will also continue to make the packs available through the store which are sold more or less at cost price (plus shipping)” states Gerry Carr promising that they will still continue to support Ubuntu.
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things to do After Installing Ubuntu 13.04 ‘Raring Ringtail’ : Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail final is almost out. The final release it scheduled for release on Apri...0 comment(s) |
- Howto: Upgrade to Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail from 12.04, 12,10 | Desktop & Server : Updated 05-04-2013: Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail will be released Soon, If you have ubuntu 12,10, 12...0 comment(s) |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comment(s) |
- Unix/Linux File Recognition. Did You Know? : Did you know that Unix and Linux has no concept of a file extension? What is a file name extension? ...0 comment(s) |
- Configure conky-Lua in Ubuntu (12.10 & 13.04 Raring Ringtail), Fedora, debian and LinuxMint | Howto Conky : Updated 05-04-2013: Conky is a free, light-weight system monitor for X, that displays any informatio...0 comment(s) |
- Howto- Resolve nosound problem on Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail,12.10 and Older : Updated 05/04/2013 : One of the common issues facing Ubuntu users after installing or upgrading Ubun...1 comment(s) |
- Unix/Linux File Recognition. Did You Know?
- Migrate from MySQL to MariaDB in FreeBSD
- Connect Your Android Galaxy Tablet to Ubuntu via USB
- ElementaryOS Beta 1 and 2 Comparison and Review
- Introduction to the Linux Command Line
- A Secure Password
- Linux Kernel 3.10. It’s BIG!
- Monitoring Users Activity Using psacct or acct Tools in Linux
- Run Your Own Social Network Using elgg on RHEL / CentOS and Scientific Linux
- Getting Debian 7.0 ‘Wheezy’ Up and Running
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .