Canonical abandons ShipIt program! NO MORE FREE CDs
to apply for a free CD claiming “Technology moves on and as we look at ways to spread Ubuntu further, a CD distribution programme, especially one of that size and delivered in that way, makes less sense.” Another reason they provided for this termination is excessive administrative load the team is facing owing to ShipIt program.
Canonical also claims that for last two years, it had been “slowly easing back” the program by putting a limit to free CDs delivered per person and number of times a person is eligible to apply for a CD. However, now, Canonical has completely put an end tothis program.
ShipIt program, launched back in 2005 was aimed at making mass-Ubuntu-adoption possible that was primarily hindered by progressing broadband technology; “that was a marketing promise even in the most connected parts of the most developed nations” then. Since then, Canonical through its ShipIt program has made millions of free CDs that were delivered to any part of the world free of cost!
The free CDs will be only avail be to the Ubuntu Local communities (LoCos) via ShipIt lite program. Canonical has also appealed the LoCos to innovate ways so that they can provide Cds to individuals who need them. However, this will not be applicable to all LoCos. Jono Bacon, Cononical community manager, points out that only LoCo teams who “have demonstrated significant ..contributions, will be eligible. “We will also continue to make the packs available through the store which are sold more or less at cost price (plus shipping)” states Gerry Carr promising that they will still continue to support Ubuntu.
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint : Tor, The Onion Router, is a network of Virtual Tunnels that allows users to communicate securely and...2 comments |
- Setup A Full Featured ITIL Management System Using Integria IMS On CentOS 6 : Integria IMS is a fully featured ITIL management system, featuring a ticketing system, inventory/C...2 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- Install and Configure Samba share in Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' , 13.04| Howto : Updated 05-04-2013: One of the most asked features for Samba is a graphical user interface to help w...0 comments |
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint
- Setup A Full Featured ITIL Management System Using Integria IMS On CentOS 6
- Install LibreOffice 4.1.3 in Elementary OS ‘Luna’
- How To Install Simple Scan in Crunchbang ‘Waldorf’
- Selene Media Encoder: Convert Audio, Video Files To Most Popular Formats
- Linux Kernel 3.12.2 Is Available For Download! Install / Upgrade Instructions
- CentOS 6.5 Has Been Officially Released!
- Format Junkie: Convert Media Files To All Popular Formats
- Setup Squid Proxy Server On openSUSE 13.1
- TimeShift: Restore Your Linux Desktop To Previous State
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .