ArchLinux Decided to Move to MariaDB
What’s MariaDB : is an community-developed fork of the MySQL relational database management system, the impetus being the community maintenance of its free status under the GNU GPL, as opposed to any uncertainty of MySQL license status under its current ownership by Oracle. The contributors are required to share their copyright with Monty Program AB.
The intent is also to maintain high fidelity with MySQL, ensuring a “drop-in” replacement capability with library binary equivalency and exacting matching with MySQL APIs and commands.It includes the XtraDB storage engine as a replacement for InnoDB, as well as a new storage engine, Aria, that intends to be both a transactional and non-transactional engine perhaps even included in future versions of MySQL.
For years, MySQL has been fundamental to many server applications, especially those using the LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, Perl/PHP/Python) software stack. Those days may be ending. BothFedora (Red Hat’s community Linux) and openSUSE (SUSE’s community Linux) will be switching out MySQL to MariaDB for their default database management system (DBMS) in their next releases.And finally Archlinux is following the Opensource World. :
Bellow is Archlinux MalingList:
Because Oracle is Oracle is Oracle(…) I would like to propose migration to MariaDB. Jokes aside, the biggest problem with MySQL situation is that it becomes more and more closed source. Oracle stopped publishing regression tests, informative security advisories, they even hide bug reports and not include them in release notes. Very often their bzr repository is falling behind new releases.
On the other hand, MariaDB is truly open source (it doesn’t have enterprise-only options) and has open development model. Security advisories are published first on the mailing list for packagers with a patch for current release and information when the bug will be fixed and when the information about security hole can be published (Another advantage for ricers — some benchmarks show that MariaDB is faster.)
From packaging side, MariaDB is (still) drop-in replacement for MySQL. Unfortunately they are not fully compatible and I don’t want to lie that I tested every package depending on MySQL before I pushed Maria to [community], but since April 2012 there has been no bug report about breakage. However I don’t want to use replaces=, because clearly it won’t work for everyone. Additionally switching now should be less problematic. MySQL 5.6 is already out and it is not as compatible with incoming MariaDB 10 as it was with 5.5 branch. While we keep Maria and MySQL branches in sync, it should be quite safe. To get back to the point… This is how I would see the migration plan: 1. Synchronize MariaDB and MySQL systemd units. 2. Move MariaDB to [extra]. 3. Rebuild packages depending on mysql/libmysqlclient/mysql-clients against its MariaDB counterparts. 4. Announce MySQL deprecation. 5. After month, drop MySQL to AUR.
How to move from Mysql to MariaDB in Archlinux ?
# systemctl stop mysqld # pacman -S mariadb libmariadbclient mariadb-clients # systemctl start mysqld # mysql_upgrade -p
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October : For Fedora users, just keep calm and use Fedora 20 for now. Fedora Developers has announced that F...1 comment |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install LAMP Server (Apache, MySQL or MariaDB, PHP) On Ubuntu 13.10 : Updated January 12, 2014 LAMP is a combination of operating system and open-source software stack. ...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- Download Elementary OS 'Luna' Official Wallpapers : Hi Guys, Am a great lover of Elementary OS, so I like to move almost everywhere with some its beaut...0 comments |
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
- Puppet agent Install Using Script
- Install Corosync and Pacemaker On CentOS 6.5
- Install Fail2Ban On Ubuntu Server 13.04/13.10
- How To Install Google Chrome in Fedora 20, 19, 18
- How to surf using Tor Browser Bundle
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .