How To Save Power In Your Ubuntu Laptop By Enabling Laptop Mode
Dear linux geeks,
In this tutorial I will show you how to save power and improve your battery life in your Ubuntu laptop.
How does it work?
The main idea behind this power saving solution is the reduction of hard drive spins. Less hard drive spins, less consumed energy, better battery life.
The Laptop Mode will helps us to achieve our goal. In order to save power and make our laptop battery last we need to make our disk write activity “bursty”. What does it mean?
It means that only reads of uncached data will cause a disk spinup.
Ok ubuntu geeks, let’s do it.
Open a new terminal(CTRL+ALT+T)and run the following commands to install a nice and simple GUI tool that lets you toggle individual power saving modules.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/unstable sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install laptop-mode-tools
After the installation is finished, run the following command to launch the configuration tool.
Now you can play with the configuration files. What about the Laptop Mode, how do you enable it? Don’t worry! Once the installation of the configuration tool is finished the Laptop Mode should be enabled by default.
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October : For Fedora users, just keep calm and use Fedora 20 for now. Fedora Developers has announced that F...1 comment |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install LAMP Server (Apache, MySQL or MariaDB, PHP) On Ubuntu 13.10 : Updated January 12, 2014 LAMP is a combination of operating system and open-source software stack. ...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- How to Install uTorrent Client on Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint : uTorrent is a lightweight and efficient BitTorrent client for Linux, Windows OS and Mac OS. The inst...0 comments |
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
- Puppet agent Install Using Script
- Install Corosync and Pacemaker On CentOS 6.5
- Install Fail2Ban On Ubuntu Server 13.04/13.10
- How To Install Google Chrome in Fedora 20, 19, 18
- How to surf using Tor Browser Bundle
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .