How to upgrade from Ubuntu 10.04, 10.10, 11.04 to Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot | Desktop & Server
Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal Beta is released! If you have ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal or older version of ubuntu installed on your system, and you want to upgrade to this new release, you can do it by following these instructions.
The most important things when it comes to upgrading are:
- That your data is safe
- That you end up with a fully functional system
Your personal data is the most valuable thing in your computer. If anything happens and you break your operating system, it’s not a problem, it can be reinstalled. If you lose your data… that’s a different story.
To be safe:
- Make a full backup of your data on an external device (USB stick or CD/DVD).
- Download and burn the liveCD of the newer release, and check that your hardware is fully functional with it.
- Desktop Upgrade:
So to upgrade from Ubuntu 11.04 or older on a desktop system, press Alt+F2 and type in update-manager -d into the command box. Update Manager should open up and tell you: New distribution release ’11.10′ is available ( See screenshot bellow).
Before to upgrade remember that is important to update your system first then click Upgrade and follow the on-screen instructions:
1- Press Alt+F2 and type in update-manager -d
2- Now follow these steps :
First check for updates, then Install them, and finally click Upgrade and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Server Upgrade:
To upgrade from Ubuntu 11.04 on a server system to Ubuntu 11.10:
1- install the update-manager-core package if it is not already installed:
sudo apt-get install update-manager-core
2- Edit /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades and set Prompt=normal;
3- Launch the upgrade tool with the command
sudo do-release-upgrade -d
and follow the on-screen instructions.
Important: This is a beta release. Do not install it on production machines. The final stable version will be released 9th of October 2011.
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October : For Fedora users, just keep calm and use Fedora 20 for now. Fedora Developers has announced that F...1 comment |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install LAMP Server (Apache, MySQL or MariaDB, PHP) On Ubuntu 13.10 : Updated January 12, 2014 LAMP is a combination of operating system and open-source software stack. ...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- How to Install uTorrent Client on Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint : uTorrent is a lightweight and efficient BitTorrent client for Linux, Windows OS and Mac OS. The inst...0 comments |
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
- Puppet agent Install Using Script
- Install Corosync and Pacemaker On CentOS 6.5
- Install Fail2Ban On Ubuntu Server 13.04/13.10
- How To Install Google Chrome in Fedora 20, 19, 18
- How to surf using Tor Browser Bundle
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .