Wxcam – Another great application that convert your webcam into a security camera
wxCam is a webcam application for linux. It supports video recording (in an avi uncompressed and Xvid format), snapshot taking, and some special commands for philips webcams, so you can also use the program for astronomy purposes. It supports both video4linux 1 and 2 drivers, so it should work on a very large number of devices.
wxcam 1.0.8 is released, this version added support to BGGR16, GBRG8, GRBG8, SPCA561 frame formats, and fixed compiling in Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal.
- Frame grabbing using video4linux 1 and 2 api;
- Adjust resolution, brightness, contrast, gamma and saturation;
- Support for some special controls for philips webcam: frame rate, gain and shutter speed;
- Snapshot taking in various formats, including BMP, PNG, JPEG, TIF, PCX, XPM.
- There are graphics effects such color correction, negative, edge, monochrome, upturned, laplacian, and mirror.
- Video recording without audio in an avi uncompressed format: e.g., useful for astronomy purpose (lunar and planetary video recording) because it is totally lossless.
- Video recording with audio, in the Xvid format: it is a lossy video format, but with great hard disk space saving.
- Video recording on movement detection.
For Ubuntu, download one of the following debian packages:
- For other Linux distribution:
First make sure you to install some dependencies before to start the installation :
sudo apt-get install libwxgtk2.8 libwxgtk2.8-dev ibxvidcore4 and libxvidcore4-dev libv4l-dev libgtk2.0-0 libgtk2.0-dev libglade2-dev
after the above packages are installed, we can start installing th wxcam software
2- extract the package and cd the extracted directory
tar vxf wxcam-1.0.8.tar.gz
3- Cd the extracted directory
4- Now compile
# ./configure # make # make install
If you want to another alternative of wxcam, please check these great one : Motion and Zoneminder.
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Manage Databases And Hosted Servers Remotely With DbNinja : Database administration via command line is bit difficult for newbie system and database administrat...0 comments |
- Install Sayonara Player In Elementary OS / Ubuntu / Linux Mint : Sayonara is a small, clear and fast audio player for Linux written in C++, supported by the Qt frame...0 comments |
- How To Install Linux Kernel 3.12.4 In Ubuntu : Linux Kernel 3.12.4 has been officially released with fixes for inet6_init() cleanup order, seqlock ...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Firefox 26 Has Been Released, How To Install It In Ubuntu And Its Derivates : Hi guys, Firefox 26 has been released for Windows, Mac OS X, Linux and Android devices. It brings m...0 comments |
- How To Install Linux Kernel 3.12.4 In Ubuntu
- Firefox 26 Has Been Released, How To Install It In Ubuntu And Its Derivates
- How To Install Brasero In Elementary OS ‘Luna’
- Install Sayonara Player In Elementary OS / Ubuntu / Linux Mint
- Manage Databases And Hosted Servers Remotely With DbNinja
- Install FrostWire 5.6.9 In Elementary OS ‘Luna’/ Ubuntu / Linux Mint
- Setup IT And Asset Management System With GLPI On Debian/Ubuntu
- How To Configure Linux Clients To Authenticate Using OpenLDAP
- How To Install Netflix In Ubuntu
- cowsay And fortune Combined Together
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .