Wxcam – Another great application that convert your webcam into a security camera
wxcam 1.0.8 is released, this version added support to BGGR16, GBRG8, GRBG8, SPCA561 frame formats, and fixed compiling in Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal.
- Frame grabbing using video4linux 1 and 2 api;
- Adjust resolution, brightness, contrast, gamma and saturation;
- Support for some special controls for philips webcam: frame rate, gain and shutter speed;
- Snapshot taking in various formats, including BMP, PNG, JPEG, TIF, PCX, XPM.
- There are graphics effects such color correction, negative, edge, monochrome, upturned, laplacian, and mirror.
- Video recording without audio in an avi uncompressed format: e.g., useful for astronomy purpose (lunar and planetary video recording) because it is totally lossless.
- Video recording with audio, in the Xvid format: it is a lossy video format, but with great hard disk space saving.
- Video recording on movement detection.
For Ubuntu, download one of the following debian packages:
- For other Linux distribution:
First make sure you to install some dependencies before to start the installation :
sudo apt-get install libwxgtk2.8 libwxgtk2.8-dev ibxvidcore4 and libxvidcore4-dev libv4l-dev libgtk2.0-0 libgtk2.0-dev libglade2-dev
after the above packages are installed, we can start installing th wxcam software
2- extract the package and cd the extracted directory
tar vxf wxcam-1.0.8.tar.gz
3- Cd the extracted directory
4- Now compile
# ./configure # make # make install
If you want to another alternative of wxcam, please check these great one : Motion and Zoneminder.