WINE 1.7 Available for Ubuntu
Are you an ex-Windows OS user that still wants to use your Windows OS applications in Linux? You can do that with WINE.
What is WINE?
WINE lets you run Windows OS software on other operating systems such as Linux, Mac OS and more without the need of installing the physical operating system. It is a free and open-source software package and it provides alternative implementations of the DLL’s, which are called by Windows OS programs.
Is WINE an emulator?
Many people think that WINE is an emulator. It is not. The name WINE is an acronym for ‘Wine Is Not an Emulator.’
You can run application with the same speed as you run them in Windows OS native. WINE is written in C and released under GNU LGPL v2.1+. The stable release is 1.6 version and the application has a compressed size of 21.1MB.
What about WINE 1.7?
Wine 1.7 was officially released on August 2 and the announcement was made by Alexandre Julliard, who is the Project Leader. There are many bug fixes in this version such as Microsoft Money 2005, 2006, 2007 crash on startup, Photoshop CS2 doesn’t see the internet, Need For Speed: World launcher fails and more. So if you play Need For Speed on Linux and use Photoshop for graphic and image processing, version 1.7 is very good news for you.
If you are interested for more information, you can find a full list of bugs fixed on Wine 1.7 here.
New features of Wine 1.7:
- Support for vertical text in the postscript driver.
- Version 2 of liblcms used now instead of version 1
- Unicode data updated to Unicode 6.2.0
- Hyperlink controls supported in installers
- Improved support for XML attributes
- Various bug fixes
Now, you want to install the WINE 1.7, don’t you? Ok, but first tell me what Ubuntu version are you running. You don’t want to tell me the version of your Ubuntu box? Ok, no problem.
Install WINE 1.7 from source in Ubuntu 13.10/13.04 and Linux Mint 15 by opening the terminal:
$ sudo apt-get install flex bison qt4-qmake $ wget http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/wine/wine-1.7.0.tar.bz2 $ tar -xjvf wine-1.7.* $ cd wine-1.7.* $ ./configure $ cd tools; ./wineinstall
Install Wine 1.7 from source in Ubuntu 12.10/12.04/11.10 and Linux Mint 14/13/12 by opening the terminal:
$ sudo apt-get install flex bison qt3-dev-tools qt4-qmake $ wget http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/wine/wine-1.7.0.tar.bz2 $ tar -xjvf wine-1.7.* $ cd wine-1.7.* $ ./configure $ cd tools; ./wineinstall
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Twelve Vulnerabilities Have Been Fixed In Ubuntu 12.04, Time To Update : Canonical has released security updates for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and advices to update your system as so...1 comment |
- TeamViewer 9 Final Has Been Released! : TeamViewer is a commercial all-in-one software that can be used for remote control, desktop sharing,...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint : Tor, The Onion Router, is a network of Virtual Tunnels that allows users to communicate securely and...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- Setup DNS Server On openSUSE 13.1
- TeamViewer 9 Final Has Been Released!
- Twelve Vulnerabilities Have Been Fixed In Ubuntu 12.04, Time To Update
- OpenLDAP Installation and Configuration in Ubuntu 12.10/13.04/13.10 And Debian 6/7
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint
- Setup A Full Featured ITIL Management System Using Integria IMS On CentOS 6
- Install LibreOffice 4.1.3 in Elementary OS ‘Luna’
- How To Install Simple Scan in Crunchbang ‘Waldorf’
- Selene Media Encoder: Convert Audio, Video Files To Most Popular Formats
- Linux Kernel 3.12.2 Is Available For Download! Install / Upgrade Instructions
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .