Will WebOS OpenSourcing disrupt Android OS Growth
WebOS the once coveted proprietary software that cost HP 1.2 Billion to acquire, is now Open Source software, after tablets running on WebOS failed miserably. Analysts ponder if WebOS entry, as free licensed software, will disrupt the just –consolidating-phase of Android OS.
However, when HP eventually launched its WebOS TouchPad tablet, the OS simply failed to impress, and the tablet quickly went on a ‘fire sale,’ and exit the tablet market segment.
Restructuring at HP
Following this colossal failure, HP too restructured as a company and the newly appointed CEO has finally found a solution on what to do with WebOS.
The result, after months of analysis at HP, has resulted in its CEO, announcing the WebOS entry into the free-to-use open source software, available like Google’s Android OS for use in any technology or device.
WebOS entry analyzed at two levels
Analysts are looking at the entry of WebOS as a free to use software on two levels. First consideration is on effectiveness of WebOS as open source software. Considering past failures of proprietary software, turned-to free software like MeeGo, Symbian and others, the possibilities, they see for WebOS seem rather limited.
Second consideration, is whether WebOS will compete against the Android OS and disrupt the latter’s just fledging market leadership as an iOS alternative. There is already great divisiveness in Android OS devices, as there are several players and few market leaders.
WebOS likely to succeed as a OS
WebOS in comparison to Symbian, already has its code ready for release and could prove to be a stand-alone success.
Will WebOS prove to be disruptive?
For a start, claiming WebOS will prove to be disruptive is hard to establish, as it’s too early to speculate.
Besides, Google’s acquisition of Motorola Mobility has lead to a clash of interest for other licensees. Again, though Google is able to support quality OS, its releases are circumspect. Releases of updates and versions are made, only if it suits Google. This already has raised concerns amongst Android OS users.
Moreover, the overall sluggish user experience, in comparison to iOS sleekness needs to be addressed as are recent developer expose of design flaws in Android OS.
HP’s ecosystem will prove to be the decider
However, the success of fire sale of HP’s TouchPad tablet proves that there is a ready user-base for WebOS and indicate that Android may well have a competitor.
While there is promise for WebOS on one hand, on the other hand, it will depend entirely on the kind of ecosystem HP is able to provide for WebOS community and developers. If HP could remain non-intrusive, despite being a public company, allowing developers to lead the way, then WebOS could be similar to what RHEL and Inc, are able to offer, otherwise it could lead to another disaster.
If one were to consider it, all successful Google Android OS devices so far, especially tablets are all forks of it. Amazon’s Kindle Fire runs on customized Android, while Samsung too has adapted the OS. This is definitely a point in favor of WebOS.
Today, Linux, Mozilla, RHEL, are successful open source platforms, driving hundreds of devices and technologies. Could WebOS prove to be successful, this time around?
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October : For Fedora users, just keep calm and use Fedora 20 for now. Fedora Developers has announced that F...1 comment |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install LAMP Server (Apache, MySQL or MariaDB, PHP) On Ubuntu 13.10 : Updated January 12, 2014 LAMP is a combination of operating system and open-source software stack. ...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- How to Install uTorrent Client on Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint : uTorrent is a lightweight and efficient BitTorrent client for Linux, Windows OS and Mac OS. The inst...0 comments |
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
- Puppet agent Install Using Script
- Install Corosync and Pacemaker On CentOS 6.5
- Install Fail2Ban On Ubuntu Server 13.04/13.10
- How To Install Google Chrome in Fedora 20, 19, 18
- How to surf using Tor Browser Bundle
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .