What does Disney, PS3 and Kindle have in common?
Yes, there is one binding power behind these three entirely different media and is known simply as Linux. Linux is omnipotent today, present on anything and everything that is remotely a technology. Unfortunately, the common user is unable to recognise that it is not the paid for proprietary software behind any technology that he is using but the world‘s greatest experiment in Free open source software solutions Linux that is the technology.
Linux is the most reliable and secure software for running servers to Smartphones to even your Playstations. Yes, Playstation3 is Linux-based and so are all those lovely Walt Disney and Dreamworks movies that you and your kids love to watch. These two studios use Linux like you and I would use the alphabets. The present scenario is that every device small or big needs a bit of Linux to help it run; such is the domination of this innocuous, non-proprietary software. Here is a bit of latest news on each of these Linux based dream works from Disney to amazing Amazon Kindle.
PS3 and Linux
On the older versions of PS3s owners in addition to playing games, watching movies, viewing photos, listening to music could turn around the PS3 into a full-fledged Linux operating system. Linux is presently not offered on PS3 for firmware security reasons, but the pervasiveness of Linux cannot be denied. TiVo is another TV entertainment platform where cable & web content viewing is easy as it is powered by Linux.
Disney & DreamWorks on Linux
To say that Hollywood dream studios are Linux playgrounds today, is most definitely not an understatement. Linux has won hands down on server technology as well as pure artwork. Believe it or not, entire renderfarms and artist desktops in these studios are Linux ecosystems.
Linux offers end-to-end graphic solutions, in most challenging and competitive of environments in these studios and has finally emerged a winner. It gives an opportunity for technologists, system engineers to delve into creative art using the most scalable, reliable and most importantly free software solution called Linux.
Another device that displays characteristic Linux power is the Amazon’s Kindle eReader. A new age device, the Kindle attempts to bring technology to the age old ritual of reading well written books and stories. But as usual any device quickly finds multiple uses given Linux high scalability, adaptability and compatible features. The Kindle is today, a powerful tool for jet set execs on the move with their loaded, password protected PDFs. Given some of the other powerful features, Kindle is a harbinger of things to come in the near future, thanks to the strengths of Linux.
1Technology drives the world today and Linux is driving technology from Entertainment hardware, server technologies, Browser technologies, Applications, packages for every genre-education, business, sports, bioinformatics to hardcore computing solutions such as cloud computing, data storage Linux has a piece of itself in every technology today.
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX : Wow! Early last week it was all over the internet, if you haven't heard it yet then this is the t...0 comments |
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive : A couple of months before, we have featured a Linux client for Google Drive named Syncdrive, which w...1 comment |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install LAMP Server (Apache, MySQL or MariaDB, PHP) On Ubuntu 13.10 : Updated January 12, 2014 LAMP is a combination of operating system and open-source software stack. ...0 comments |
- How To "Fix E: Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status" : QUESTION: I get the following error when I use sudo apt-get update: E: Could not open file /var/...0 comments |
- Install Sublime Text 3 In Fedora Easily With Fedy
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive
- Install nSnake Game In Terminal
- How To “Fix E: Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status”
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .