Dear linux geeks,
In this article I will teach you how to install and use SopCast in your Ubuntu machine. SopCast offers a free easy to use and very efficient way to broadcast or watch videos over the peer to peer technology. You can easily be a broadcaster without spending any money on expensive servers and you are given full control of your channels.
The communication is very secure, every message is encrypted and authentication is supported for both broadcasters and viewers. A nice feature I like very much about this app is the Real Time Monitoring Of BroadCast which makes sure for the viewers to select an appropriate channel.
SopCast has many other features such as:
– State-of-the-art P2P technology. Share the data among all viewers, make the channel more available and stable.
– Minimal delay in the P2P streaming market.
– Fast buffering. 10-30seconds.
– Firewall and NAT traversal technology to pass 90% P2P barriers.
– Streaming real time streams. Support for many streaming transport protocol. mms, http, etc.
– Streaming media files. Many file types: asf, wmv, rm, rmvb, mp3, etc.
– Support for loop file playing.
– Extremely low memory footprint and CPU load.
– Standard channel URL: click on any sop:// URL to play.
– Real time monitor of broadcasting source quality and network quality to help viewers to select a appropriate channel.
– Record the clips when you are watching it.
– Can play the stream with your favourite player, such as Windows Media Player, RealPlayer, VLC, etc.
– Memory buffering, no harm to the hard disk.
– Support for authentication for both the broadcasters and the viewers. The broadcaster has full control on his channels.
– End-to-End security, encrypted messages, hi level P2P security, no hijack.
– Support multiple channels broadcast on the same server. Normally, you can run 5-10 channels on one PC.
– The Sop Player can be embedded into a webpage or any software applications. It works just like Windows Media Player.
– The Sop Server and Sop Player can be run both on Windows and Linux. The whole system can be ported to embedded Linux.
– Freeware, not ad/spy ware.
Open a new terminal (CTRL+ALT+T) and run the following command to install SopCast in your Ubuntu machine.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:lyc256/sopcast-player-ppa sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install sopcast-player