VirtualBox 4.0 is released ! New PPA for Ubuntu and Debian
Again another release from Oracle before the end of the year, this time is VirtualBox 4.0 who has been released . This new version features an improved user interface, as well as added virtual hardware support, including for chip-sets supporting PCI Express and others. Other changes include increased capacity and throughput using a new asynchronous I/O model for networked (iSCSI) and local storage, and improved standards support with support for the Open Virtualisation Format (OVF), support more than 1.5/2 GB guest RAM on 32-bit hosts, Resource control: added support for limiting a VM’s CPU time and IO bandwidth and more.
See the complete changelog in this link.
I- Installation :
Before to start remember to remove any previous version of virtualbox installed in your system.
- For Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat and linuxmint 10 :
To install VirtualBox in Ubuntu 10.10 maverick meerkat and LinuxMint10, you need to add the the following repository.
1-Open terminal and copy the command bellow :
sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian maverick contrib"
2- Add the verification key, Copy this command :
wget -q http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/oracle_vbox.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -
3- Now update and install :
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install virtualbox-4.0
- You can also use this command (Thanks to webupd8) to add the repository and install virtualbox 4.0 in debian based systems (Ubuntu, LinuxMint, Debian..)
sudo -v echo "deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian $(lsb_release -sc) contrib" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list wget -q http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/oracle_vbox.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add - sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install virtualbox-4.0
- If you don`t want to install virtualbox from repository download the following .deb packages or from this Link.
- For Other Linux distribution, download the packages from this Link.
II- Download and install the extension pack:
As i mentioned in my previous post ” VirtualBox4.0 introduces the Extension Pack mechanism which allows Oracle and 3rd parties to deliver additional functionality on top of the standard Open Source product. The Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack, adds support for USB 2.0, RDP server and the PXE bootloader with E1000 support. “
To install the extension pack, First download the pack from this link : Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.0.0-69151.vbox-extpack
After, open virtualbox and go to File–> Preference, then under extensions install the extension pack:
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX : Wow! Early last week it was all over the internet, if you haven't heard it yet then this is the t...0 comments |
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive : A couple of months before, we have featured a Linux client for Google Drive named Syncdrive, which w...1 comment |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install LAMP Server (Apache, MySQL or MariaDB, PHP) On Ubuntu 13.10 : Updated January 12, 2014 LAMP is a combination of operating system and open-source software stack. ...0 comments |
- How To "Fix E: Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status" : QUESTION: I get the following error when I use sudo apt-get update: E: Could not open file /var/...0 comments |
- Install Sublime Text 3 In Fedora Easily With Fedy
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive
- Install nSnake Game In Terminal
- How To “Fix E: Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status”
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .