Unity 5.2 arrives with great wares for Ubuntu 12.04
Unity 5.2, the just released, recent update to Unity 5.0 has some new winning features and some improvements, following the intense testing Unity 5.0 was put through for quick-release of versions to keep in line with Precise Pangolin LTS release.
The ongoing testing has helped users to know more about the features, the official release has several noticeable features: Multi-Monitor support, workspace alt-tab switcher, a new SUPER+TAB Launcher, new shortcut overlay, tweaked launchers, a spanking new home dash and some further fine-tuning for auto-maximize functionality windows is now disabled for 1024 X 600 resolution plus monitors.
The Highlight: Multi-Monitor Support
The most talked about feature on Unity 5.2 is the Multi-monitor support. This means launchers are now available for each of the monitors and moving across each monitor will be quite be resisted.
New Screen Edge Detection
Another feature that is interesting to use is the ‘push-to-reveal’ mode that ensures the Launcher is not always launched accidently. You now really have to prod it for the Launcher mode and there are further controlling features with CompizConfig Settings Manager.
New Home lens
The new home lens replaces six giant icons that would earlier fill up the screen and are now replaced by lens that displays recent files, applications making it a lot easier to use.
New use for some shortcuts
The way the ALT + TAB now works is different. It now displays applications on the current workspace itself. This feature can be further configured for multi-workspace use with ALT+TAB Switch option disabled for-
Option: Bias alt-gab to prefer windows on the current viewport
A much awaited’ middle-click pasting’ within the search area using Alt+F2 and Dash is now available. The average response time and performance of the desktop has improved considerably.
A new filter allows filtering by Local Apps as well as Software Center; the search box is moved to keep in line with the tweaked colors.
No HUD for Unity 5.2
The brand new HUD will not be available for Unity 5.2 and hence if you want to continue with HUD you will need to purge-out PPA and retain earlier updates of Unity.
Installing Unity 5.2
Unity 5.2 is presently available only for Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise Pangolin) and not any of earlier versions- 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot or Natty Narwhal Ubuntu 11.04. Installation can be done via the following PPA:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:unity-team/ppa sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
To retain HUD features use the following to retain it and remove Unity 5.2 upgrades from your desktop.
sudo apt-get install ppa-purge:unity-team/ppa
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Manage Databases And Hosted Servers Remotely With DbNinja : Database administration via command line is bit difficult for newbie system and database administrat...0 comments |
- Install Sayonara Player In Elementary OS / Ubuntu / Linux Mint : Sayonara is a small, clear and fast audio player for Linux written in C++, supported by the Qt frame...0 comments |
- How To Install Linux Kernel 3.12.4 In Ubuntu : Linux Kernel 3.12.4 has been officially released with fixes for inet6_init() cleanup order, seqlock ...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Firefox 26 Has Been Released, How To Install It In Ubuntu And Its Derivates : Hi guys, Firefox 26 has been released for Windows, Mac OS X, Linux and Android devices. It brings m...0 comments |
- How To Install Linux Kernel 3.12.4 In Ubuntu
- Firefox 26 Has Been Released, How To Install It In Ubuntu And Its Derivates
- How To Install Brasero In Elementary OS ‘Luna’
- Install Sayonara Player In Elementary OS / Ubuntu / Linux Mint
- Manage Databases And Hosted Servers Remotely With DbNinja
- Install FrostWire 5.6.9 In Elementary OS ‘Luna’/ Ubuntu / Linux Mint
- Setup IT And Asset Management System With GLPI On Debian/Ubuntu
- How To Configure Linux Clients To Authenticate Using OpenLDAP
- How To Install Netflix In Ubuntu
- cowsay And fortune Combined Together
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .