Unity 5.2 arrives with great wares for Ubuntu 12.04
Unity 5.2, the just released, recent update to Unity 5.0 has some new winning features and some improvements, following the intense testing Unity 5.0 was put through for quick-release of versions to keep in line with Precise Pangolin LTS release.
The ongoing testing has helped users to know more about the features, the official release has several noticeable features: Multi-Monitor support, workspace alt-tab switcher, a new SUPER+TAB Launcher, new shortcut overlay, tweaked launchers, a spanking new home dash and some further fine-tuning for auto-maximize functionality windows is now disabled for 1024 X 600 resolution plus monitors.
The Highlight: Multi-Monitor Support
The most talked about feature on Unity 5.2 is the Multi-monitor support. This means launchers are now available for each of the monitors and moving across each monitor will be quite be resisted.
New Screen Edge Detection
Another feature that is interesting to use is the ‘push-to-reveal’ mode that ensures the Launcher is not always launched accidently. You now really have to prod it for the Launcher mode and there are further controlling features with CompizConfig Settings Manager.
New Home lens
The new home lens replaces six giant icons that would earlier fill up the screen and are now replaced by lens that displays recent files, applications making it a lot easier to use.
New use for some shortcuts
The way the ALT + TAB now works is different. It now displays applications on the current workspace itself. This feature can be further configured for multi-workspace use with ALT+TAB Switch option disabled for-
Option: Bias alt-gab to prefer windows on the current viewport
A much awaited’ middle-click pasting’ within the search area using Alt+F2 and Dash is now available. The average response time and performance of the desktop has improved considerably.
A new filter allows filtering by Local Apps as well as Software Center; the search box is moved to keep in line with the tweaked colors.
No HUD for Unity 5.2
The brand new HUD will not be available for Unity 5.2 and hence if you want to continue with HUD you will need to purge-out PPA and retain earlier updates of Unity.
Installing Unity 5.2
Unity 5.2 is presently available only for Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise Pangolin) and not any of earlier versions- 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot or Natty Narwhal Ubuntu 11.04. Installation can be done via the following PPA:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:unity-team/ppa sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
To retain HUD features use the following to retain it and remove Unity 5.2 upgrades from your desktop.
sudo apt-get install ppa-purge:unity-team/ppa
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04 : Power Commands, power management application created by the Atareao team , this app helps users to...0 comments |
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian : uGet is a very light-weight and powerful open source download manager. On March 4th, 2014 Uget Do...0 comments |
- Install Crashplan backup tool in Linux : CashPlan is an automated backup solution that either uses the CrashPlan Central server or any other ...0 comments |
- Download Elementary OS 'Luna' Official Wallpapers : Hi Guys, Am a great lover of Elementary OS, so I like to move almost everywhere with some its beaut...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
- Puppet agent Install Using Script
- Install Corosync and Pacemaker On CentOS 6.5
- Install Fail2Ban On Ubuntu Server 13.04/13.10
- How To Install Google Chrome in Fedora 20, 19, 18
- How to surf using Tor Browser Bundle
- New Games got Greenlit on Linux by Steam Today!
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .