Ubuntu Linux to play game-changer when it debuts on tablets, smartphones and Smart TVs
The ongoing Ubuntu Developer Summit at FL, today became the platform on which Mark Shuttleworth, announced that Ubuntu Linux will soon be available across all smart devices – Smartphones, tablets and smart TVs.
Mark Shuttleworth as founder of Canonical, the commercial arm of Ubuntu, while making the keynote address at the Summit also announced short term and long term goals of Ubuntu.
Short term plans for Ubuntu
Ubuntu 12.04 the next version and also a long term support will be built to be a stable release and the interface- Unity- be well developed for Linux users at home and business.
Long term plans for Ubuntu all frontiers of computing devices
Beyond the short term plans, the long terms plan for Ubuntu, will expand to all computing devices.
This is apparently an extension of the belief in Ubuntu-“As Ubuntu as Linux for human beings.” Just as users have Ubuntu Linux users have moved from desktop to newer forms of computing, the community too believes in offering the software on formats that users are most comfortable in using tablets, smartphones and Smart TVs as well.
The goal is to put Ubuntu on all smart devices from Smartphones, tablets to Smart screens.
Apparently, Ubuntu has been in talks with partners for close to eighteen months, to introduce ubuntu on smartphones and tablets.
Mark Shuttleworth explains that, Unity from conceptualization to design is an interface developed for multi-platform screens. The ultimate goal is to let Unity be a mutli-compatible interface that will take the format of the device on which it is used.
Unity is simply a designed user interface that will, “Want a consistent platform with a tightly structured user experience.”
Unity is the future of device interface
Unity is a Gnome-based desktop built for elegance, performance and versatility and fits perfectly across all smart devices. This kind of complete implementation could be best implemented with 14.04 version or April 2014 release of Ubuntu.
This version of Unity will be built on ARM-architecture and will be touch-based. While this means that as Ubuntu evolves, the device-specific code, will be open sourced and will become standard Ubuntu.
But will Unity be able to match Android’s prowess and Apple’s iOS market-snare
Shuttleworth believes, that the very dominance of Apple and Android could prove to be their undoing as, “disruptive elements will establish themselves.” Therefore, it well be that Ubuntu and Windows could have a fair chance in entrenching themselves in the handheld device segment, that Android OS and iOS dominate.
Shuttleworth, also points out that Google’s acquisition of Motorola has upset the hardware vendors and though Android is well established, vendors will increasingly explore non-Android alternatives.
Secondly, Canonical has well developed revenue-sharing policy with service partners and software vendors. Thirdly, Ubuntu has both a developer community and a customer base.
Fourthly, Canonical will offer strategic leverage to OEMs since, survival on their own and as consortiums is tough. Ubuntu would offer OEMs the band-width to work with Google and Microsoft.
Ubuntu’s uniqueness lies in its open platform and the ability to offer innovation and deliver well structured products.
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX : Wow! Early last week it was all over the internet, if you haven't heard it yet then this is the t...0 comments |
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive : A couple of months before, we have featured a Linux client for Google Drive named Syncdrive, which w...1 comment |
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- How To "Fix E: Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status" : QUESTION: I get the following error when I use sudo apt-get update: E: Could not open file /var/...0 comments |
- Install Sublime Text 3 In Fedora Easily With Fedy : Sublime Text is a sophisticated text editor for code, markup and prose. In this tutorial we are goi...0 comments |
- Install nSnake Game In Terminal : From github repo nsnake is a clone of the classic snake game that we all used to play on our cellp...0 comments |
- Install Sublime Text 3 In Fedora Easily With Fedy
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive
- Install nSnake Game In Terminal
- How To “Fix E: Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status”
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .