Ubuntu have a space online storage
Canonical launches Ubuntu One private beta. This storage and file sharing offers a free 2 GB or 10 GB for $ 10.
a few days, members and developers Official Ubuntu community were surprised to receive in their mailbox, an e-mail invitation to test the new online service offered by the company Canonical, to origin of the famous Linux distribution. Called Ubuntu One is available at ubuntuone.com, it consists of a Web service for storing and sharing files for users of free operating system.
After online registration, the user can install a small software agent on their desktop Ubuntu, it will synchronize files between his job and service online or share files with other Ubuntu users.
“After installing the agent, we see a new folder called Ubuntu One, in its file browser. This consists of two files: a My Files folder, to save personal files, which will be replicated on the online service. And a folder shared with me, where you can drop the files you want to share with other users, “says Nicolas Barcet, product manager of Ubuntu Server from Canonical.
A private beta which could become public during the summer
For now, Ubuntu One is accessible to members and developers of the official Ubuntu (a few hundred people in France) or by invitation. But the opening of a public release could take place very quickly, before the end of the summer. For those interested, simply leave your e-mail to the site to be notified of the opening of the service.For now, the software agent replication only works on Ubuntu in its latest version (9.04). And nothing says that other platforms will be supported.
However, those who use other operating systems (OS) can still use this service in its web version, since the files will be accessible online as a Google Docs or Skydrive from any position and no any browser. Side price, the free version is limited to a storage space of 2 GB, while a paid version offers 10 GB for $ 10 per month.
What lies behind Ubuntu One?
This service is not really innovative as it competes with another, similar, called Dropbox, far more successful and the paid version which is cheaper (50 GB for 9.99 dollars per month) and sending all Linux but also Windows and Mac. So why put on the market such a tool? For Christophe Sauthier, President of the Ubuntu-fr and manager of the Target SS2L Libre, “the goal is for Canonical to show that it is possible to power of cloud computing services with Ubuntu.Because Ubuntu One use Ubuntu, and all associated tools » .
No doubt also that the service should grow quite quickly! “Our strategy is to add functions to the use of an online desktop.” So soon a virtual desktop Ubuntu online? To be continued …
galerie photos photo gallery
Source : http://pro.01net.com/
Original article in In French language
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive : A couple of months before, we have featured a Linux client for Google Drive named Syncdrive, which w...2 comments |
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX : Wow! Early last week it was all over the internet, if you haven't heard it yet then this is the t...2 comments |
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- News from Kaspersky Lab: Tor is protecting criminals : In a previous article I wrote a bit about Tor. Free browser, relays bouncing your IP all over the ...1 comment |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install Sublime Text 3 In Fedora Easily With Fedy : Sublime Text is a sophisticated text editor for code, markup and prose. In this tutorial we are goi...0 comments |
- Adding and Deleting Cluster Resources (corosync pacemaker)
- News from Kaspersky Lab: Tor is protecting criminals
- Install Satis On Ubuntu Sever 13.10/13.04
- How To Access A LVM Drive / Partition in Ubuntu
- How To Disable Remember Open Files in Sublime Text 3
- Install Sublime Text 3 In Fedora Easily With Fedy
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive
- Install nSnake Game In Terminal
- How To “Fix E: Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status”
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .