VortexBox is a free, open source (GPL v3), quick-install ISO that turns your unused computer into an easy-to-use music server/jukebox. Once VortexBox has been loaded on an unused PC, it will automatically rip CDs to FLAC and MP3 files, ID3 tag the files , and download the cover art. Vortexbox will then serve the files to network media players such as Logitech Squeezebox, Sonos, or Linn. The music files can also be streamed to a Windows or Mac OSX system.
- Convert an old PC to a CD ripper / jukebox / NAS in 15 minutes.
- Based on Fedora so it’s easy to modify.
- Automatically tags all files from online music database.
- Automatically downloads the cover art.
- Automatic sharing of file to SMB (Microsoft) file shares.
- Automatic re-indexing Squeezebox Server after every CD is ripped.
- AppleTalk – for OSX or Bonjour for Windows.
- DAAP – Automatically shares all MP3s for streaming to iTunes and Roku Soundbridge.
- NFS – For Linux boxes and almost anything else, Solaris etc.
- DLNA – ushare pre-installed to support DLNA players, XBOX 360, etc.
- Easy installation of mplayer for AlianBBC support.
- Good support for Sonos.
- Works well as a backend server for XBMC (XBOX Media Center) running on XBOX, Widnows, OSX, AppleTV, or Linux.
Latest release of VortexBox is 1.2 and was released yesterday 09-03. Read the announcement
The installation of VortexBox is easy and are just four steps ( See steps described in screenshots bellow) .
Click on the screenshots for full size
Select the time zone
Type the root password
After the installation, the machine reboot and give will this message
Now you have to connect to the host machine (Your Music server) by typing http://ip-adress (Ip adress of your music server) and dont forget to configure or to disable the ip4table.
Now you can check and configure your Music server
Click on the screenshot for full size
Usefull Links : http://vortexbox.org/
Related Articles By Tags: