Top Five New Releases of the week you need to watch
Here are some just released distros that are interesting and great to work with. Monomaxos is a refreshing Greek distro for those who prefer an out-of-box Linux OS. dyne:bolic, Plop Linux, Toorox and Network Security Toolkit have just released over the past week and will make for an enriching experience.
Monomaxos is an Ubuntu 11.04 based distro that supports full-fledged playback of diverse multimedia material, internet content from a box and a Media Centre and as an extended XBMC Media Centre. It includes browser plugins, support for DVD playback, media codecs and provides components for Java, Flash. Libre Office Suite, v3.3 is in Greek with a spell check feature. It also offers full support for multiple form factors- Laptop PCs. A first in this edition, are the local Monomaxos repository on the DVD with the latest graphic drivers ATI/NVIDIA. Download is enabled here.
‘Rastasoft’ or dyne:bolic is a media optimizer for older/slower computers. It has just announced the release of its latest beta version dyne:bolic 3.0, a major version, for testing. By nature, this distro is built from scratch but this version differs by being developed on the Ubuntu 9.10. This has a core that has no expensive branded software, binary blobs on Linux v 3. Its high point is that with skeletal hardware you could run a cluster of Xbox game. Download mirrors available here.
This is a small utility live CD with Fluxbox, GNOME and has just released version 4.1.2. At its core it is designed for data disaster management. With this data can be rescued from disaster-struck systems, provide backup as well as restore operating systems. Automation of common tasks is made easy with this distro. Download mirrors include- http://www.plop.at/en/ploplinuxdl.html
A Gentoo-based DVD distro, that boots on KNOPPIX on KDE desktop with auto-technologies for detection and configuration. It is perfect for backing up data, anonymous Internet browsing. The new release comes with two variants- the ‘Xfce’ and ‘Xfce-lite’ editions. The ‘Xfce’ edition is for the Xfce destop 4.8.0, on lesser resources and older hardware. The newer hardware will enable lightning fast.
The Xfce-Lite comes with Xfce 4.8.0 but is a very edited and compact version. It comes with smaller alternatives with Abiword for LibreOffice, Midori replaces IceCat and Thunderbird replaces ‘Claws-Mail’. Download mirrors for this distribution are available.
Backed by Paul Blankenbaker, NST or Network Security Toolkit has just announced the 2.15.0. It is based on Fedora available on Live DVD working to provide full-fledged security applications on open source platform. It has new dynamic, integrated SVG/AJAX network interface that monitors network bandwidth rates. New RPM packages, WUI are integrated to offer the Open Vulnerability Assessment Scanner and the Greenbone security too. IPv6 security investigation too can be handled with the RPM package. You can download the distro here to explore other loaded security applications. With some low-level hardware an entire network security solution can be implemented with NST.
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive : A couple of months before, we have featured a Linux client for Google Drive named Syncdrive, which w...2 comments |
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX : Wow! Early last week it was all over the internet, if you haven't heard it yet then this is the t...2 comments |
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Install Sublime Text 3 In Fedora Easily With Fedy : Sublime Text is a sophisticated text editor for code, markup and prose. In this tutorial we are goi...0 comments |
- News from Kaspersky Lab: Tor is protecting criminals : In a previous article I wrote a bit about Tor. Free browser, relays bouncing your IP all over the ...1 comment |
- How To "Fix E: Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status" : QUESTION: I get the following error when I use sudo apt-get update: E: Could not open file /var/...0 comments |
- Adding and Deleting Cluster Resources (corosync pacemaker)
- News from Kaspersky Lab: Tor is protecting criminals
- Install Satis On Ubuntu Sever 13.10/13.04
- How To Access A LVM Drive / Partition in Ubuntu
- How To Disable Remember Open Files in Sublime Text 3
- Install Sublime Text 3 In Fedora Easily With Fedy
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive
- Install nSnake Game In Terminal
- How To “Fix E: Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status”
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .