Top 10 Unixmen posts in 2010
Top 10 Unixmen posts in 2010:
The final release of Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat will be out this week, after you install or upgrade to this new release you will need to customize your ubuntu by installing all needed software, tools, games and repositories in
your system, you can also update the look to your choice by adding Cairo dock menu, Go-menu, or AWN, or to change the window buttons from the left to the right for example.
If you are running Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx and you want to upgrade, please follow the instructions in this post to upgrade from Lucid to Maverick Meerkat. : How to upgrade to Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat from ubuntu 10.04 lucid, karmic| Desktop & Server
If you want to share files between your Ubuntu and Windows computers, your best option is to use Samba file sharing.
Samba is a free software re-implementation of SMB/CIFS networking protocol, originally developed by Australian Andrew Tridgell. As of version 3, Samba provides file and print services for various Microsoft Windows clients and
can integrate with a Windows Server domain, either as a Primary Domain Controller (PDC)
To activate the fullscreen mode in a virtualbox machine, we need to install Guest additions in the guest OS. If you are testing Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick meerkat in virtualBox , you may notice that guest additions are not working, it seems that the problem is the new xserver they put in ubuntu10.10, the modules are not build against this new version (See screenshot bellow). To fix this issue i used the methode bellow to install Guest additions in Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat, this methode consist on installing a new xserver display packages which works well.
Nagios is a popular open source computer system and network monitoring software application. It watches hosts and services, alerting users
when things go wrong and again when they get better.
Nagios was originally designed to run under Linux, but also runs well on other Unix variants. It is free software, licensed under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 2 as published by the Free Software Foundation.
After twitter, now is Digg who decided to replace MySQL and most of their infrastructure components and move away from LAMP to another architecture called NoSQL that is based in Casandra, an opensource project that develops a highly scalable second-generation distributed database. Cassandra was open sourced by Facebook in 2008 and is licencied under Apache Licenses..
How to apply apt-get update or install in Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx? I was behind a proxy server and after installing Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid lynx i coulden`t update or install anything using the apt-get command. After searching i found that The apt package has been changed, now there is no more apt.conf on /etc/apt directory.
Webmin is a web-based interface for system administration for Unix/. Using any modern web browser, you can setup user accounts, Apache, DNS, file sharing and much more. Webmin removes the need to manually edit Unix configuration files like /etc/passwd, and lets you manage a system from the console or remotely you can also create backups for the system and restore.
Updated: 10/12/2010 Burg1.0.5 : Burg-manager is an intuitive interface that simplify installation and configuration of burg bootloader. Burg-manager allows to install Burg and many beautiful themes from a big gallery.
-install Burg, Burg-themes and a Burg emulator
-set your favorite theme
-set the screen resolution
-add new themes from list
-setting the default operating system
-setting advanced parameters
LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform that uses Linux as operating system, Apache as the Web server, MySQL as the relational database management system and PHP as the object-oriented scripting language.
We did show you in our previous post how to install LAMP in Ubuntu 10.04 with one command using tasksel command. It is a software installation application that is an integral part of the Debian installer and works under Ubuntu Linux too. It groups some packages by tasks and offers the user an easy way to install the packages for that task. It provides the same functionality as using conventional meta-packages. in Maverick this command dosn`t come by default, so we need to install it first before to perform the LAMP installation.
10- Linux From Scratch 6.7 is released! A free book that teaches how to build a base Linux OS from scratch, from an existing Linux installation or from a live CD
Linux From Scratch 6.7 is released , This release includes numerous changes to LFS 6.6 (including updates to Linux kernel 220.127.116.11, GCC 4.5.1, glibc 2.12.1) and security fixes. It also includes editorial work on the explanatory material throughout the book, improving both the clarity and accuracy of the text.” Other major changes include update to GRUB 1.98, make 3.82, Perl 5.12.1, udev 161 and various small patches to fix compilation errors.
If you diden`t hear about Linux from Scratch Before,
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive : A couple of months before, we have featured a Linux client for Google Drive named Syncdrive, which w...2 comments |
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX : Wow! Early last week it was all over the internet, if you haven't heard it yet then this is the t...2 comments |
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Install Sublime Text 3 In Fedora Easily With Fedy : Sublime Text is a sophisticated text editor for code, markup and prose. In this tutorial we are goi...0 comments |
- News from Kaspersky Lab: Tor is protecting criminals : In a previous article I wrote a bit about Tor. Free browser, relays bouncing your IP all over the ...1 comment |
- How To "Fix E: Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status" : QUESTION: I get the following error when I use sudo apt-get update: E: Could not open file /var/...0 comments |
- Adding and Deleting Cluster Resources (corosync pacemaker)
- News from Kaspersky Lab: Tor is protecting criminals
- Install Satis On Ubuntu Sever 13.10/13.04
- How To Access A LVM Drive / Partition in Ubuntu
- How To Disable Remember Open Files in Sublime Text 3
- Install Sublime Text 3 In Fedora Easily With Fedy
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive
- Install nSnake Game In Terminal
- How To “Fix E: Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status”
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .