Firefox 16, a treat for developers http://t.co/cnd27CzT
To reduce its dependence on Microsoft, Russia invest 4.9 million dollars to develop a Linux-based Windows alternative
MOSCOW — The Russian state plans to revamp its computer services with a Windows rival to reduce its dependence on US giant Microsoft and better monitor computer security, a lawmaker said Wednesday.
Moscow will earmark 150 million rubles (3.5 million euros, 4.9 million dollars) to develop a national software system based on the Linux operating system, Russian deputy Ilia Ponomarev told AFP, confirming an earlier report in the Vedomosti daily.
“The devil is in the details,” said Ponomarev, a computer expert, adding those details would be hashed out during a December meeting headed by vice-prime minister Sergei Ivanov.
“We will become independent of Windows … but it risks becoming an unthinking implantation of Linux,” he added.
Similar concerns about achieving technological independence prompted the Russian military to create the GLONASS satellite navigation system in the 1980s, to compete with the US Global Positioning System (GPS) and competition in the future from Europe’s Galileo.
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things to do After Installing Ubuntu 13.04 ‘Raring Ringtail’ : Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail final is almost out. The final release it scheduled for release on Apri...0 comment(s) |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comment(s) |
- Howto: Upgrade to Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail from 12.04, 12,10 | Desktop & Server : Updated 05-04-2013: Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail will be released Soon, If you have ubuntu 12,10, 12...0 comment(s) |
- Unix/Linux File Recognition. Did You Know? : Did you know that Unix and Linux has no concept of a file extension? What is a file name extension? ...0 comment(s) |
- Configure conky-Lua in Ubuntu (12.10 & 13.04 Raring Ringtail), Fedora, debian and LinuxMint | Howto Conky : Updated 05-04-2013: Conky is a free, light-weight system monitor for X, that displays any informatio...0 comment(s) |
- How to use Remote Desktop in Ubuntu : Sometimes, we need to access our computer from other locations when we’re not at home and such. This...0 comment(s) |
- Unix/Linux File Recognition. Did You Know?
- Migrate from MySQL to MariaDB in FreeBSD
- Connect Your Android Galaxy Tablet to Ubuntu via USB
- ElementaryOS Beta 1 and 2 Comparison and Review
- Introduction to the Linux Command Line
- A Secure Password
- Linux Kernel 3.10. It’s BIG!
- Monitoring Users Activity Using psacct or acct Tools in Linux
- Run Your Own Social Network Using elgg on RHEL / CentOS and Scientific Linux
- Getting Debian 7.0 ‘Wheezy’ Up and Running
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .