6 Things to do after installing Ubuntu9.10 Karmic Koala
Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic koala will be released in few hours, after you install karmic or upgrading, you will need to add some softwares, repositories, you can also make the look of karmic better by adding cairo dock menu for example. You can always add more themes , see this article : Great themes for Ubuntu9.10 Karmic koala
Here are things i see are important to do after installing Ubuntu karmic Koala :
1- Add Medibuntu repositories :
Medibuntu is a packaging project dedicated to distributing software that cannot be included in Ubuntu for various reasons, related to geographical variations in legislation regarding intellectual property, security and other issues. by adding Medibuntu repostories you will be able to install many softwares like Google-Earth , opera ,Win32codecs , Msfonts and more by the normal command :
sudo-apt-get install <software-name>
2- Install PlayOnLinux :
PlayOnLinux is a piece of sofware which allows you to easily install and use numerous games and softwares designed to run with Microsoft®’s Windows®.
You can install many windows games like callofduty, doom ,…. Msfonts ,Itune ,Microsoft office 2007 (see our howto install MS office 2007 using playonlinux)
You can install playonlinux from Ubuntu software center
Or by using the command :
sudo apt-get install playonlinux
3- Enchance launch-bar menu in karmic with cairo-dock :
Cairo-Dock is an animated application launch bar for the desktop, comparable to the dock in Mac OS X or Rocket Dock (for Windows). It is compatible with Compiz, but it can also run without a composite manager . Cairo-Dock can run under GNOME, KDE and XFCE.
Open the terminal and copy and past the command bellow :
echo "deb http://repository.cairo-dock.org/ubuntu $(lsb_release -sc) cairo-dock ## Cairo-Dock-Stable" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list
wget -q http://repository.cairo-dock.org/cairo-dock.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -
Update the installation :
sudo apt-get update
Now install cairo-dock :
sudo apt-get install cairo-dock cairo-dock-plug-ins
4- Add screenlets to your Desktop :
Screenlets are small owner-drawn applications that can be described as “the virtual representation of things lying/standing around on your desk”. Sticknotes, clocks, rulers, … the possibilities are endless. The goal of the Screenlets base-classes is to simplify the creation of fully themeable mini-apps that each solve basic desktop-work-related needs and generally improve the usability and eye-candy of the modern composited Linux-desktop.
sudo apt-get install screenlets
If you are a fun of gaming so is important to add Playdeb repositories to your Karmic koala. Playdeb is a gaming repository for Ubuntu – aimed to provide titles already available on getdeb.net in an easier to install and update format. You can install many games by a simple click
Please see how to add playdeb.net repository in this link : Ubuntu Gaming made easy with PlayDeb
6- Important softwares you must have :
These softwares you can install from Ubuntu software center :
- Vlc : The best media player for Linux it play almast everything , he has many features that you can not find in any other media player , see this article to know more about vlc : Things you didn’t know VLC media player can do
-Vuze : the most popular Bitorrent client :
- Moovida Media center : Moovida is much more than a simple media player… it is a cutting edge media center bringing the best of the internet to your TV screen. Automatically creating your own digital library you can browse from your sofa with a remote control. The elegant and easy to use interface automatically displays artwork and fan art throughtout and gives you access to movie synopsis and artist info.
- Install Thunderbird: the best mail / News client from Mozilla :
- Filezilla the best ftp client for linux :
- Pidgin the best messenger client and 30 plugins, you can enjoy chat with freinds using voice and cam :
- Openshot video editor : Openshot is a video editor for linux, is one of the best ones existing actually for linux. The news is that now has a PPA this mean easy install for Ubuntu users, but the big news is that the new version come with 30 new effects. See the video demonstration what you can do with Openshot : Install openshot on karmic koala
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Setup DNS Server On openSUSE 13.1 : What is DNS Server? As you might know, DNS, Domain Name System, is a system that resolves Domain ...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...1 comment |
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint : Tor, The Onion Router, is a network of Virtual Tunnels that allows users to communicate securely and...1 comment |
- Twelve Vulnerabilities Have Been Fixed In Ubuntu 12.04, Time To Update : Canonical has released security updates for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and advices to update your system as so...0 comments |
- Setup DNS Server On openSUSE 13.1
- TeamViewer 9 Final Has Been Released!
- Twelve Vulnerabilities Have Been Fixed In Ubuntu 12.04, Time To Update
- OpenLDAP Installation and Configuration in Ubuntu 12.10/13.04/13.10 And Debian 6/7
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint
- Setup A Full Featured ITIL Management System Using Integria IMS On CentOS 6
- Install LibreOffice 4.1.3 in Elementary OS ‘Luna’
- How To Install Simple Scan in Crunchbang ‘Waldorf’
- Selene Media Encoder: Convert Audio, Video Files To Most Popular Formats
- Linux Kernel 3.12.2 Is Available For Download! Install / Upgrade Instructions
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .