Top things to do after installing Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Lucid Lynx and 10.10 Maverick Meerkat
The final release of Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx will be out this week, after you install lucid or upgrade you will need to add some software, repositories, you can also update the look to your choice by adding Cairo dock menu, changing the window buttons for example, bisigui themes. You can always add more themes , see this article : Great themes for Ubuntu
First thing i will start with how to resolve nosound problem in ubuntu lucid Lynx, i confronted this issue when i first installed lucid in my Laptop, the solution you can find it in this post.
Now let`s see which things are important to do install after installing Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Links :
Add Medibuntu repositories
Medibuntu is a packaging project dedicated to distributing software that cannot be included in Ubuntu for various reasons, related to geographical variations in legislation regarding intellectual property, security and other issues. by adding Medibuntu repostories you will be able to install many softwares like Google-Earth , opera ,Win32codecs , Msfonts and more by the normal command :
sudo apt-get install <software-name>
Start Script – Install the most needed Applications and repositories in Lucid (Medibuntu, getdeb, Drropox…)
This script helps new users set up a few things most people do when they first install Ubuntu. The script adds extra repositories:
Ubuntu restricted extras, Medibuntu, Getdeb,Dropbox, and install from repository softwares like The GIMP, Pidgin, WINE, Chromium browser, Gnome Do, Guake, VLC media player, Mplayer, SMplayer, Thunderbird, Dropbox, skype, Codecs..and more. This script actually available just for only Ubuntu 10.04 lucid Lynx.
Sharing folders in Lucid lynx
If you have a local network and you tried to share folders with other computers on this network, you will got a message like this :
Now to be able to share folders in lucid lynx with other Linux and windows machine in your network, you will need to install and configure samba share, for instructions how to configure samba in Ubuntu see this Post
Install samba :
sudo apt-get install samba
When samba is installed and configured then you can set which folders you want to share by right click on the folder
Windows emulators : PlayOnLinux
PlayOnLinux is a piece of sofware which allows you to easily install and use numerous games and softwares designed to run with Microsoft®’s Windows®.
You can install many windows games like callofduty, doom ,…. Msfonts ,Itune ,Microsoft office 2007 (see our howto install MS office 2007 in Ubuntu using playonlinux )
You can install playonlinux from Ubuntu software center, by using the command :
sudo apt-get install playonlinux
Enchance launch-bar menu in Lucid Lynx with cairo-dock, Docky
Cairo-Dock is an animated application launch bar for the desktop, comparable to the dock in Mac OS X or Rocket Dock (for Windows). It is compatible with Compiz, but it can also run without a composite manager . Cairo-Dock can run under GNOME, KDE and XFCE.
Open the terminal and copy and past the command bellow :
echo "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/cairo-dock-team/ppa/ubuntu $(lsb_release -sc) main ## Cairo-Dock-PPA-Stable" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys E80D6BF5
Update the installation :
sudo apt-get update
Now install cairo-dock :
sudo apt-get install cairo-dock cairo-dock-plug-ins
- Docky : Some of Docky’s amazing features include themes, plugins, 4 different hiding modes, advanced indicators, zeitgeist integration, and window management.Docky is an advanced shortcut bar that sits at the bottom, top, and/or sides of your screen. It provides easy access to some of the files, folders, and applications on your computer, displays which applications are currently running, holds windows in their minimized state, and more.
Installation of Docky
First add repository
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:docky-core/ppa
Now update source and install docky
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install docky
Add screenlets to your Desktop
Screenlets are small owner-drawn applications that can be described as “the virtual representation of things lying/standing around on your desk”. Sticknotes, clocks, rulers, … the possibilities are endless. The goal of the Screenlets base-classes is to simplify the creation of fully themeable mini-apps that each solve basic desktop-work-related needs and generally improve the usability and eye-candy of the modern composited Linux-desktop.
sudo apt-get install screenlets
Or install by clicking
Change window buttons from Left to right
As you can see in ubuntu 10.04 Lucid the button of the window are located on left instead of the usual place on the right of the window, if you want to have the buttons back to the right then use windows button script :
Now cd the folder where you downloaded the script, in my case :
Make the script executable :
sudo chmod +x 123360-123360-Change Window Buttons.sh
- Now Run the script :
./123360-123360-Change Window Buttons.sh
After you will got this screen to choose the location where you want to have the buttons :
I changed the button to the right, here it is the result :
If you are a fun of gaming so is important to add Playdeb repositories to your Lucid Lynx. Playdeb is a gaming repository for Ubuntu – aimed to provide titles already available on getdeb.net in an easier to install and update format. You can install many games by a simple click
Please see how to add playdeb.net repository in this link : Ubuntu Gaming made easy with PlayDeb
My Favorite media player are VLC media player and banshee:
VLC is the best media player for Linux it play almost everything , he has many features that you can not find in any other media player , read this post to know more about vlc : Things you didn’t know VLC media player can do
Install VLC media player :
sudo apt-get install vlc
- The second media player i like is Banshee,
You can install banshee by clicking this link or from the command line :
sudo apt-get install banshee
If you like banshee you will like also to add some useful extensions like :
banshee-extension-ubuntu one music store : This extension makes the Ubuntu one Music Store available in banshee.
sudo apt-get install banshee-extension-ubuntuonemusicstore
For more extensions for Banshee open Ubuntu software center and type Banshee then you will got Banshee and a list of extensions:
Click on screenshot for file size
Playing encrypted DVDs
To play encrypted DVDs, the libdvdcss2 package is essential. libdvdcss is a simple library designed for accessing DVDs like a block device without having to bother about the decryption.
If you already added Medibuntu repositories above manualy of via start script you will be able to install them using the command :
sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2
Moovida Media center
Moovida is much more than a simple media player… it is a cutting edge media center bringing the best of the internet to your TV screen. Automatically creating your own digital library you can browse from your sofa with a remote control. The elegant and easy to use interface automatically displays artwork and fan art throughtout and gives you access to movie synopsis and artist info.
Install Moovida from by clicking here, or using the command :
sudo apt-get install moovida
Pitivi Video editor is now included in ubuntu 10.04, but my favorite Video editor is Openshot for the moment i find it as one of the best existing actually for Linux. Openshot now is included in Ubuntu repositories, so you can install it by clicking here or by typing the command:
sudo apt-get install openshot
Or Click link bellow to install :
Backup tools : Deja Dup
Déjà Dup is a simple backup tool. It hides the complexity of doing backups the ‘right way’ (encrypted, off-site, and regular) and uses duplicity as the backend.
|Deja Dup features :|
| • Support for local or remote backup locations, including Amazon S3
• Securely encrypts and compresses your data
• Incrementally backs up, letting you restore from any particular backup
• Schedules regular backups
• Integrates well into your GNOME desktop
sudo apt-get install deja-dup
Bitorrent client : Vuze
Vuze is a bitorrent client that is used to download and share files using the p2p network.
sudo apt-get install vuze
Filezilla the best ftp client for linux :
Filezilla is the best ftp client for Linux
Install via command line :
sudo apt-get install filezilla
Or by clicking here
Communication : Instant messengers
- Pidgin the best messenger client and 30 plugins, you can enjoy chat with freinds using voice and cam.
sudo apt-get install pidgin
aMSN has features not present in Windows Live Messenger. Users can set alarms, are able to see others who have removed them from their contact list, and are able to open many profiles at once. It is also very customizable, with extensions and themes available at the main site.
sudo apt-get install amsn
Flash plugin for firefox
To be able to watch videos and see flash website in your firefox you need to install flash plugin, ubuntu software center and search word “flash”
If you are thinking of getting creating your own web hosting company you can start as reseller hosting.
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October : For Fedora users, just keep calm and use Fedora 20 for now. Fedora Developers has announced that F...1 comment |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install LAMP Server (Apache, MySQL or MariaDB, PHP) On Ubuntu 13.10 : Updated January 12, 2014 LAMP is a combination of operating system and open-source software stack. ...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- How to Install uTorrent Client on Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint : uTorrent is a lightweight and efficient BitTorrent client for Linux, Windows OS and Mac OS. The inst...0 comments |
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
- Puppet agent Install Using Script
- Install Corosync and Pacemaker On CentOS 6.5
- Install Fail2Ban On Ubuntu Server 13.04/13.10
- How To Install Google Chrome in Fedora 20, 19, 18
- How to surf using Tor Browser Bundle
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .