After a fresh install of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Lucid Lynx the customization made easy with Ubuntu start script
If you want to configure Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick meerkat please check also our post:
Ubuntu Start is released by Andrei from Webupd8, this script helps new users set up a few things most people do when they first install Ubuntu. The script adds extra repositories: Ubuntu restricted, extras, Medibuntu, Getdeb, Dropbox, and install from repository softwares like The GIMP, Pidgin, WINE, Chromium browser, Gnome Do, Guake, VLC media player, Mplayer, SMplayer, Thunderbird, Dropbox, Codecs..and more. This script actually available just for only Ubuntu 10.04 lucid Lynx
- Zenity for a GUI
- Adds extra repositories: Ubuntu restricted, extras, Medibuntu, Getdeb, Dropbox (only if you select to install Dropbox)
- Installs from repositories: The GIMP, Pidgin, WINE, Chromium browser, Gnome Do, Guake, VLC media player, Mplayer, SMplayer, Thunderbird, Dropbox, Codecs (multimedia, java, flash), additional archives support, DVD support and fonts, Ubuntu Tweak, Deluge Torrent, CompizConfig Settings Manager, Development tools (from build-essential to Subversion, GIT and so on).
- Downloads and installs the following: Google Chrome browser (will download the build for 32 or 64 bit, depending on your Ubuntu version), official smiley themes for Pidgin (for all the protocols), the latest Flash Player for 64bit via Adobe’s website, Skype (32 or 64bit, depending on your Ubuntu version).
o Move window buttons to the right (Karmic style) Change Update Manager behavior to the one in Jaunty
o Remove mounted drive icons from desktop
o Disable the GDM login sound
o Enable the icons in menus and buttons
o Disable the GDM login user list
o Remove the ubuntu-docs package (frees up 252MB)
o Change Gnome Calendar first day of the week from Sunday to Monday
o Downloads, installs and configure sharp fonts
o Fix ‘apt-get update’ delay for Google repository
o Automatically mount NTFS drives on startup
- Automatically accepts the JAVA license so you don’t have to
- The Medibuntu server is currently down which made me develop a new feature: the script now tests the main Medibuntu server and 2 other mirrors and adds whichever of these 3 is working.
- Lots of checks to make sure you run the script proprely: will check if the script is ran as root, if Synaptic, apt-get, dpkg or Software Center is running and will ask you to close it before running the script, checks the internet connection to make sure you can actually install the packages, etc.
Download and Install ubuntu Start
Download Ubuntu start script :
For newbies : To save the script on your computer, click the download link above then go to file–>Save page as on your browser and choose the folder where you want to save the script.
Because this script need Zenity installaed to work properly, first install it :
sudo apt-get install zenity
- Now download Ubuntu start from the link above, and cd the directory where you downloaded the script, in my case
- Now make the script executable using this commad :
chmod +x ubuntu-10.04-script
Now run the script :
You will got this screen as step one, choose what you want to do then click ok
After you will got a screen with step2 , just check in the software you want to install and click OK
Is done !
I tested this script 2 times in my lucid installed in a virtual machine and in my laptop , in both the script worked just fine without any errors.
Great job Andrei!!
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Manage Databases And Hosted Servers Remotely With DbNinja : Database administration via command line is bit difficult for newbie system and database administrat...0 comments |
- Install Sayonara Player In Elementary OS / Ubuntu / Linux Mint : Sayonara is a small, clear and fast audio player for Linux written in C++, supported by the Qt frame...0 comments |
- How To Install Linux Kernel 3.12.4 In Ubuntu : Linux Kernel 3.12.4 has been officially released with fixes for inet6_init() cleanup order, seqlock ...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Firefox 26 Has Been Released, How To Install It In Ubuntu And Its Derivates : Hi guys, Firefox 26 has been released for Windows, Mac OS X, Linux and Android devices. It brings m...0 comments |
- How To Install Linux Kernel 3.12.4 In Ubuntu
- Firefox 26 Has Been Released, How To Install It In Ubuntu And Its Derivates
- How To Install Brasero In Elementary OS ‘Luna’
- Install Sayonara Player In Elementary OS / Ubuntu / Linux Mint
- Manage Databases And Hosted Servers Remotely With DbNinja
- Install FrostWire 5.6.9 In Elementary OS ‘Luna’/ Ubuntu / Linux Mint
- Setup IT And Asset Management System With GLPI On Debian/Ubuntu
- How To Configure Linux Clients To Authenticate Using OpenLDAP
- How To Install Netflix In Ubuntu
- cowsay And fortune Combined Together
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .