Study: Linux kernel R&D worth over 1 billion euros
According to a study by researchers at the University of Oviedo (Universidad de Oviedo) in Spain, the estimated total value of the2.6.30 Linux kernel, released in June of 2009, is more than €1 billion. Using the kernel development history from version 2.6.11 to 2.6.30, the researchers calculated the costs by using the Constructive Cost Model 81 (COCOMO 81) and taking the average annual salary for a developer in 2006 in the European Union as a parameter. According to EUROSTAT, that was approximately €31,000. The Linux Foundation published a similar study in October of 2008.
The COCOMO algorithm calculates the value of software using a number of specific metrics, specifically the number of lines of code written. The study looks at the estimated annual research and development (R&D) costs of the kernel releases and shows that the annual Linux kernel R&D cost increased significantly in 2008. Between 2005 and 2006, annual R&D was estimated at between €72 to €94 million, however, in 2008, that number rose to more than €228 million.
The two researchers responsible for the study, Jesús García-García and Mª Isabel Alonso de Magdaleno, will be be presenting their findings at the Concord 2010 conference on corporate R&D taking place on the 3rd and 4th of March, 2010 in Seville, Spain.
Related Articles By Tags :
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX : Wow! Early last week it was all over the internet, if you haven't heard it yet then this is the t...0 comments |
- Install LAMP Server (Apache, MySQL or MariaDB, PHP) On Ubuntu 13.10 : Updated January 12, 2014 LAMP is a combination of operating system and open-source software stack. ...0 comments |
- DNS Server Installation Step by Step Using CentOS 6.5/6.4/6.3 : DNS, Domain Name System, translates hostnames or URLs into IP addresses. For example if we type www....0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- Install nSnake Game In Terminal
- How To “Fix E: Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status”
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
- Puppet agent Install Using Script
- Install Corosync and Pacemaker On CentOS 6.5
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .