Study: Linux kernel R&D worth over 1 billion euros
According to a study by researchers at the University of Oviedo (Universidad de Oviedo) in Spain, the estimated total value of the2.6.30 Linux kernel, released in June of 2009, is more than €1 billion. Using the kernel development history from version 2.6.11 to 2.6.30, the researchers calculated the costs by using the Constructive Cost Model 81 (COCOMO 81) and taking the average annual salary for a developer in 2006 in the European Union as a parameter. According to EUROSTAT, that was approximately €31,000. The Linux Foundation published a similar study in October of 2008.
The COCOMO algorithm calculates the value of software using a number of specific metrics, specifically the number of lines of code written. The study looks at the estimated annual research and development (R&D) costs of the kernel releases and shows that the annual Linux kernel R&D cost increased significantly in 2008. Between 2005 and 2006, annual R&D was estimated at between €72 to €94 million, however, in 2008, that number rose to more than €228 million.
The two researchers responsible for the study, Jesús García-García and Mª Isabel Alonso de Magdaleno, will be be presenting their findings at the Concord 2010 conference on corporate R&D taking place on the 3rd and 4th of March, 2010 in Seville, Spain.
Related Articles By Tags :
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint : Tor, The Onion Router, is a network of Virtual Tunnels that allows users to communicate securely and...2 comments |
- Setup A Full Featured ITIL Management System Using Integria IMS On CentOS 6 : Integria IMS is a fully featured ITIL management system, featuring a ticketing system, inventory/C...2 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- Install and Configure Samba share in Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' , 13.04| Howto : Updated 05-04-2013: One of the most asked features for Samba is a graphical user interface to help w...0 comments |
- OpenLDAP Installation and Configuration in Ubuntu 12.10/13.04/13.10 And Debian 6/7
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint
- Setup A Full Featured ITIL Management System Using Integria IMS On CentOS 6
- Install LibreOffice 4.1.3 in Elementary OS ‘Luna’
- How To Install Simple Scan in Crunchbang ‘Waldorf’
- Selene Media Encoder: Convert Audio, Video Files To Most Popular Formats
- Linux Kernel 3.12.2 Is Available For Download! Install / Upgrade Instructions
- CentOS 6.5 Has Been Officially Released!
- Format Junkie: Convert Media Files To All Popular Formats
- Setup Squid Proxy Server On openSUSE 13.1
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .