Special mention for Special purpose Debain-Med distro
A medical industry acclaimed open source distro, Debain-Med is pioneering Open Source Bioinformatics software that brings enriched medical software for licensed or free use. The idea behind FOSS or Free Open Source Software solutions for the Medical world is to offer Custom Debian Distribution for medical and biological issues, as non-proprietary software, which is cutting-edge, sophisticated and reliable.
The story of the special purpose distro
Debian-Med Project began in 2002, to act as a facilitator or bridge between high performing computational biology, medical imaging, medical informatics already available in the FOSS format and the medical world. This distro has proved to be the successful missing link between the end users in the medical world and software application developers.
As Debian was already, a platform in which these sophisticated software pre-existed Debain-Med became the logical extension. It was introduced in this scenario to offer comprehensive coverage as well as complete integration of the various package and to play the role of a package maintainer. The ultimate goal was to achieve an operating system that allows seminal medical research and practice with easy to use pre-developed packages that ensured faster processing of new research data and building of newer research/medical practices in terms of techniques, diagnostics etc. Further, Debain’s default compatibility with 11 platforms allows users greater freedom for hardware choice.
Debian-Med as a Pure Blend
Debian-Med has in a way delivered in a major development of free, affordable and quality software that encourages technology to sustain cutting-edge medical research. The general Debain-Med today is developed into Debian Pure Blends. These include Debian Edu, DeMuDi, Debian GIS and host of similar Pure Blends for each stream. Blend task pages with integrated information, for example scientific references, also offer software products specific to the domain thus preventing duplication and fractionization of packages.
Debian-Med Distro for Developers
The Debian consists of sets of meta packages that seek other Debian packages for executing particular tasks. Therefore, at apt-get install med-bio a meta package invokes the entire molecular biology and medical genetics applications. The meta package called med-bio-dev installs the programming libraries, tools for developing the applications related to the medical domain and these will include developing or contributing to the core library called the NCBI or the National Centre for Biotechnology information. The goal for developers is the creation of a single grid that calls several virtual organizations with the required cross grid functioning.
Issues Debian Med needs to address
The main issue that requires adequate focus is the integration of biological databases into Debian. Solutions will have to be explored, since maintaining multiple mirrors for EMBL DNA sequencing etc are too much of a burden on the system. Integration into main Debian distribution should be the logical solution.
Other Medical projects on FOSS
Debian-Med presently offers medical practice, patient management, hospital information systems, medical research, documentation, medical genetics, molecular biology etc. Besides Debian-Med there are several other medical projects that are very popular. The Kubutu Operating System Ubuntu-Med, is customized for EHR and other software. The Project EU Spirit is a good platform for European Open source software for medical experts while a Germany-based Open Med is very popular for free medical software support.
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- How To Show Username On Panel In Ubuntu 13.04/13.10 : By default usernames are not displayed on panel in Ubuntu 13.04 and 13.10, In this simple tutorial w...0 comments |
- Setup DNS Server On openSUSE 13.1 : What is DNS Server? As you might know, DNS, Domain Name System, is a system that resolves Domain ...0 comments |
- cowsay And fortune Combined Together : Hi linux geeks! In this article I will teach you a nice trick you can perform in the terminal with ...0 comments |
- cowsay And fortune Combined Together
- How To Show Username On Panel In Ubuntu 13.04/13.10
- Setup DNS Server On openSUSE 13.1
- TeamViewer 9 Final Has Been Released!
- Twelve Vulnerabilities Have Been Fixed In Ubuntu 12.04, Time To Update
- OpenLDAP Installation and Configuration in Ubuntu 12.10/13.04/13.10 And Debian 6/7
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint
- Setup A Full Featured ITIL Management System Using Integria IMS On CentOS 6
- Install LibreOffice 4.1.3 in Elementary OS ‘Luna’
- How To Install Simple Scan in Crunchbang ‘Waldorf’
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .