Soon Secure Confidential data on HDD without Encryption on Open source software
Academics are keen on developing an open source application on Steganography an extremely advanced technique of hiding sensitive data without encryption in plain sight.
This late April news release follows years of work by computer scientists at University of South Califormia, LA and NUST, Islamabad. The research found that sensitive data securing is very easy by simply denying access or controlling the disk location where the sensitive data is stored in the form of clusters.
The futuristic software will use a predetermined code to store data fragments in independent disk clusters. For viewing these secured files, a reader or the person who is permitted access to it, simply has to use the same application and the file will be reassembled. Presently 20 Megabytes of message can easily be stored on 160-Giga bytes of removable hard drives.
Disk Forensics basic search parameters
Frontier research in Disk Forensics has lead to covert channel securing of confidential data in clusters on the Hard disk itself. Data securing is usually investigated based on two parameters- degree of evasiveness or the ability to resemble non-sensitive or normal data. The second parameter is the capacity or the size/capacity of information hoarding attempted. Most secure data storage methods that strive to introduce techniques that look beyond storage and transmission of data as coded or encrypted formats.
How is encrypted data format compromised?
Quite often, forensic investigators have been able to encrypt content stashed on desktops as well as USB disks by standard investigating tools. Analysis of content storage patterns using sophisticated forensic tools is graphed and investigators extract a contour or boundary called as sample entropy. Encrypted content or data reflects higher entropy in comparison to unencrypted data.
Forensic investigators can then compel owners of the disk or traffic owners to reveal the key codes for decryption. If at one-end soldiers or intelligence personnel could be physically forced into revealing the codes, confidential business data of any enterprise could be legally compelled to reveal decryption codes. This will lead to sensitive data compromise.
Why cluster-formation data storage more secure?
Researchers arrived at this tectonic shift in data security mechanism as covert channelized file system would make data hoarding on mass storage devices or removable/permanent storage devices easy and evasion of disk forensics doubles significantly.
The premise worked upon by scientists here is called plausible denial and by adopting advanced software such as the proposed open source project, it will have a two-fold impregnable plausible deniability possibility.
Researchers have indicated that there is negligible performance downgrade but need to be over ridden in comparison to the content value of the data that is being secured.
This could lead to the development of platform free data protection applications that will allow enterprises as well as personal data information securing possibilities.
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Setup DNS Server On openSUSE 13.1 : What is DNS Server? As you might know, DNS, Domain Name System, is a system that resolves Domain ...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...1 comment |
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint : Tor, The Onion Router, is a network of Virtual Tunnels that allows users to communicate securely and...1 comment |
- Twelve Vulnerabilities Have Been Fixed In Ubuntu 12.04, Time To Update : Canonical has released security updates for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and advices to update your system as so...0 comments |
- Setup DNS Server On openSUSE 13.1
- TeamViewer 9 Final Has Been Released!
- Twelve Vulnerabilities Have Been Fixed In Ubuntu 12.04, Time To Update
- OpenLDAP Installation and Configuration in Ubuntu 12.10/13.04/13.10 And Debian 6/7
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint
- Setup A Full Featured ITIL Management System Using Integria IMS On CentOS 6
- Install LibreOffice 4.1.3 in Elementary OS ‘Luna’
- How To Install Simple Scan in Crunchbang ‘Waldorf’
- Selene Media Encoder: Convert Audio, Video Files To Most Popular Formats
- Linux Kernel 3.12.2 Is Available For Download! Install / Upgrade Instructions
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .