Firefox 16, a treat for developers http://t.co/cnd27CzT
Script to speed up mobile internet connexion in Linux
For people who use an USB stick or mobile phone to surf the internet on the go, it’s often reported that the connection is sloppy or unresponsive. Wireless features pings over 200 ms as it is, however, it’s not that what causes this ‘lag’.
For example, if you open an audio stream from the internet and then decide to browse some pages, you’ll notice that your connection behaves in a much more responsive manner.
One way to fix this issue is having a ‘ping’ command running in the background which probes a host (eg. Google.com) continuously. This keeps the connection ‘active’ as it always sends a few packets of data.
We’re going to be creating a script that will keep the connexion active.
To begin, get your favorite text editor and open up a random file in your system. I’m going to choose /opt/stayonline.sh for this tutorial.
$ sudo nano /opt/stayonline.sh
Copy/ past the following onto the file.
while  do
/bin/ping -c 3 -s 1 google.com
Save it and close. We now need to make this file executeable. Just run the following.
$ sudo chmod +x /opt/stayonline.sh
All we need to do now is set it up in such a way where it gets called every time a network connection is established.
That’s it. Now each time your connection is active, it’ll maintain a constant ping command with a remote host and hopefully, make your online experience more fluid and responsive.
Learn about high speed business DSL options that may be available.
Usefull links: lffl.org
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things to do After Installing Ubuntu 13.04 ‘Raring Ringtail’ : Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail final is almost out. The final release it scheduled for release on Apri...0 comment(s) |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comment(s) |
- Howto: Upgrade to Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail from 12.04, 12,10 | Desktop & Server : Updated 05-04-2013: Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail will be released Soon, If you have ubuntu 12,10, 12...0 comment(s) |
- Install and Configure Samba share in Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail , 12.10, 12.04| Howto : Updated 05-04-2013: One of the most asked features for Samba is a graphical user interface to help w...0 comment(s) |
- How to use Remote Desktop in Ubuntu : Sometimes, we need to access our computer from other locations when we’re not at home and such. This...0 comment(s) |
- How to Find Default Gateway in Linux : A gateway is a node or a router that acts as an access point to passes network data from local netwo...0 comment(s) |
- Setup the Raspberry Pi as a NAS
- How to Monitor Filesystem Events with incron
- Useful Commands for Linux Users – Episode 6
- Deadly Linux Commands
- Determine Your Specifications from Command-Line
- Automatically Change the Desktop Wallpaper Using Variety on Ubuntu/Linux Mint
- How to Find Default Gateway in Linux
- Setup Backup Server Using rsnapshot
- How to Disable/Change Default PDF Viewer in Mozilla Firefox
- Dictionaries in Python
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .