Recent Releases of Interest –RHEL 5.7
The previous week saw some interesting releases and doing full justice to the release is the RHEL 5.7.Following our status update on RHEL5.7 beta in June, here are the full notes on RHEL 5.7 release.
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 the fountain of Linux expansion
As RHEL 5 heads towards completion of Q1 of its lifecycle, team RHEL 5 released the seventh major revision of the product that was first released in March 2007.
Version 7 of RHEL 5 comes with bug fixes, some renewed drivers, optimizations and other features.
As expected virtualization is optimised with KVM and Xen. The KVM hypervisor has been tweaked so that CD drive emulation is enhanced. This also ensures boot sequence and related bugs/issues are handled more efficiently through this. Another, major feature happening here is that the migration time, that is, the time taken to shift guest systems from the host to running machines is vastly minimized.
Virtualization with Xen with 32-bit guest system is faster since Xen essentially has a faster guest booting system. Additionally, a whopping 256 storage drives are supported going beyond the standard 100. You will full support for XZ compression on kernels with the PyGrub that has been supported by Linux Kernel from 2.6.38 onwards.
Drivers improve hardware capabilities
The Linux Kernel 2.6.18 is likely to soon run out as RHEL 5.7 has umpteen driver updates and some newer ones as well.
Major changes that RHEL 5.7 will soon deliver on are the additional support extended for new processors, chipset from AMD, IBM to Intel as these changes are at the design-stage yet. Network bridges too have been tweaked with new functions being added and LDAP in Autofs being supported.
Therefore, the fibre-channel adapter and SAS-Chips now get storage drivers. To provide further support, version 08.101.00.000 of SCSI driver mpt2sas for WarpDrive series such as SSS-6200 is also included.
The RV635 /Radeon HD 36xx and RV730/Radeon HD 46XX chips support output through DisplayPort with the support for the Radeon graphics driver being included.10-gigabit Ethernet will be better supported with the inclusion of the new network drivers.
Probably for the first time the distribution has provided the iw_cxgb4 driver for handling T4 series Chelsio RDMA hardware. Besides, the atl1e network driver has gigabit chips powered by Atheros as part of the package. Another driver the qlc nic is supports the Large Recieve Offload (LRO) as well as the Generic Receive Offload (GRO).
RHEL 5 will include the Red Hat’s Subscription Manager and Subscription Service, which was included in RHEL 6.1. Open SCAP ensure Security Content Automation Protocol (SCAP)with developer library, tools and improved System Security Services.
With the XFS file system, RHEL clients can see high availability as well as Cluster Add-on full support.
Release Notes are available and details of further support for newer hardware will require clients to switch to newer RHEL releases in the future.
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX : Wow! Early last week it was all over the internet, if you haven't heard it yet then this is the t...0 comments |
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive : A couple of months before, we have featured a Linux client for Google Drive named Syncdrive, which w...1 comment |
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- How To "Fix E: Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status" : QUESTION: I get the following error when I use sudo apt-get update: E: Could not open file /var/...0 comments |
- Install Sublime Text 3 In Fedora Easily With Fedy : Sublime Text is a sophisticated text editor for code, markup and prose. In this tutorial we are goi...0 comments |
- Install nSnake Game In Terminal : From github repo nsnake is a clone of the classic snake game that we all used to play on our cellp...0 comments |
- Install Sublime Text 3 In Fedora Easily With Fedy
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive
- Install nSnake Game In Terminal
- How To “Fix E: Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status”
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .