Howto change the Default program on ubuntu
Sometimes for whatever reason, the default program that opens when we double click a file is not the one we want, in this case most of us will want to change the default program to another one. This article will show you how to change the default program in ubuntu.
First install the program you want to make it default (Me i took the example of changing the default mp3 player in my ubuntu from Totem to Banshee, for that I installed first Banshee media player to make it as default mp3 player )
Now to change the default program, right click the file (My case mp3 file), select Properties, and chose the Open With tab.
(Example : When i open an mp3 file , it open by default by Totem media player.)
Now i want to make Banshee as my default mp3 player, to do that ,i right clicked on the file, and i selected Properties
Now i choosed the Open With tab, then clicked on one of the radio buttons to chose one of the programs that Ubuntu recognizes as a valid program to view/manipulate the file ( In my case Banshee Media Player)
Note :If the program is not there, click the Add button, and chose from another, longer list of programs. If it’s still not there, or you want it to be opened with special flags, try Use a custom command option to type in the command to the program. Then click Add.
Now close the properties box, and double click the file. It should now open with your program of choice. Please note that if you make the program, say Banshee, open .mp3 files, it will not automatically open .wav files.
Usefull links : https://help.ubuntu.com/
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Install Fail2Ban On Ubuntu Server 13.04/13.10 : Introduction Fail2Ban is an intrusion prevention framework written in the Python programming l...0 comments |
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful : Running a business can be very stressful. You have to think about team collaboration, making sure th...0 comments |
- Install Crashplan backup tool in Linux : CashPlan is an automated backup solution that either uses the CrashPlan Central server or any other ...0 comments |
- Install Corosync and Pacemaker On CentOS 6.5 : I will show you in this tutorial how to install your first cluster Corosync and the Linux Cluster Ma...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
- Puppet agent Install Using Script
- Install Corosync and Pacemaker On CentOS 6.5
- Install Fail2Ban On Ubuntu Server 13.04/13.10
- How To Install Google Chrome in Fedora 20, 19, 18
- How to surf using Tor Browser Bundle
- New Games got Greenlit on Linux by Steam Today!
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .