Howto change the Default program on ubuntu
Sometimes for whatever reason, the default program that opens when we double click a file is not the one we want, in this case most of us will want to change the default program to another one. This article will show you how to change the default program in ubuntu.
First install the program you want to make it default (Me i took the example of changing the default mp3 player in my ubuntu from Totem to Banshee, for that I installed first Banshee media player to make it as default mp3 player )
Now to change the default program, right click the file (My case mp3 file), select Properties, and chose the Open With tab.
(Example : When i open an mp3 file , it open by default by Totem media player.)
Now i want to make Banshee as my default mp3 player, to do that ,i right clicked on the file, and i selected Properties
Now i choosed the Open With tab, then clicked on one of the radio buttons to chose one of the programs that Ubuntu recognizes as a valid program to view/manipulate the file ( In my case Banshee Media Player)
Note :If the program is not there, click the Add button, and chose from another, longer list of programs. If it’s still not there, or you want it to be opened with special flags, try Use a custom command option to type in the command to the program. Then click Add.
Now close the properties box, and double click the file. It should now open with your program of choice. Please note that if you make the program, say Banshee, open .mp3 files, it will not automatically open .wav files.
Usefull links : https://help.ubuntu.com/
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Twelve Vulnerabilities Have Been Fixed In Ubuntu 12.04, Time To Update : Canonical has released security updates for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and advices to update your system as so...0 comments |
- TeamViewer 9 Final Has Been Released! : TeamViewer is a commercial all-in-one software that can be used for remote control, desktop sharing,...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint : Tor, The Onion Router, is a network of Virtual Tunnels that allows users to communicate securely and...1 comment |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- TeamViewer 9 Final Has Been Released!
- Twelve Vulnerabilities Have Been Fixed In Ubuntu 12.04, Time To Update
- OpenLDAP Installation and Configuration in Ubuntu 12.10/13.04/13.10 And Debian 6/7
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint
- Setup A Full Featured ITIL Management System Using Integria IMS On CentOS 6
- Install LibreOffice 4.1.3 in Elementary OS ‘Luna’
- How To Install Simple Scan in Crunchbang ‘Waldorf’
- Selene Media Encoder: Convert Audio, Video Files To Most Popular Formats
- Linux Kernel 3.12.2 Is Available For Download! Install / Upgrade Instructions
- CentOS 6.5 Has Been Officially Released!
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .