Precise Puppy 5.7.1 Released
We have another Puppy in the Precise series. The new version of Puppy in Precise series was announced and is called Precise Puppy 5.7.1. Are you exited to try? Oww, oww slow down guys. If you are new to Linux, you should read this article very carefully.
Do you have an old machine with less than 256MB of RAM or you have a super machine? You need this information because you have to choose which flavor to install. This pup comes in two flavors; One for older machines and/or thus on dial-up internet and one for modern machines. So you got it, right? I am glad you did.
I have a modern computer so I will download the precise-5.7-iso which is smaller than the ISO for old computers. A very good thing is that there are many infrastructure improvements in this pup.
What is Precise Puppy?
This is a question that someone without any knowledge about Linux may ask. What do you say guys, should we help him/her or not? Ofcourse yes. This is the reason why we are here. If we do not explain to newbies what Precise Puppy is then how can they follow my review and test Puppy Linux by themselves.
Precise Puppy is a Linux distribution built from a “Puppy builder” system named Woof. There are other puppies built with Woof such as Slacko and Racy. Since there are many other puppies you can choose the one you want to try and use based on your particular needs. It can be software or hardware needs or something else. I think this is enough for an introduction. Now it is time to get our hands dirty.
The first time I have run puppy Linux on my laptop I tried to connect to the internet and see how it works. The question that popped on my mind was ‘Do I have internet connection?’. I clicked the Connect icon which is shown in Figure 1 and I was surprised that the Simple Network Setup program was there to help me. It was so easy for me to connect to my wireless network.
A good thing is that there are many improvements and fixes for this new pup. The modern flavor distribution, which I am running now is based on Linux kernel 3.9.11 and it comes with only one browser pre-installed. This is Seamonkey 2.19. So nice! The retro-flavour distribution comes with two web browsers, Seamonkey and Opera browser. This pup comes with a new graphic processing software. PeasyGlue is the new application that can be used to join images together.
The default chat client is Pidgin and it runs so fast and smooth. Precise Puppy 5.7.1 gives you a default account to chat on their IRC channel. I personally experienced a very warm community. They are there to help if you ask them anything about Puppy Linux. There are many new features added and improved in the infrastructure level such as IPC mechanism and support for running internet applications as user ‘spot‘.
What about the new theme?
The theme creates a warm environment for the user and it is very high in quality. I think due to the newer kernel.
- The “retro flavour” has analog modem drivers for agrsm, dgcmodem, ess, conexant hcf/hsf, Intel 536/537, Lucent, pctel, smartlink and more
- Many libraries, utilities, and applications have been upgraded
- PeasyGlue is a new application for joining images together, has been added
- Pidgin has been added as the default chat client
- Retro flavor is based on Linux kernel 3.2.48
- Modern flavor is based on Linux kernel 3.9.11
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04 : Power Commands, power management application created by the Atareao team , this app helps users to...0 comments |
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian : uGet is a very light-weight and powerful open source download manager. On March 4th, 2014 Uget Do...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Download Elementary OS 'Luna' Official Wallpapers : Hi Guys, Am a great lover of Elementary OS, so I like to move almost everywhere with some its beaut...0 comments |
- Install Crashplan backup tool in Linux : CashPlan is an automated backup solution that either uses the CrashPlan Central server or any other ...0 comments |
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
- Puppet agent Install Using Script
- Install Corosync and Pacemaker On CentOS 6.5
- Install Fail2Ban On Ubuntu Server 13.04/13.10
- How To Install Google Chrome in Fedora 20, 19, 18
- How to surf using Tor Browser Bundle
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .