Precise Puppy 5.7.1 Released
We have another Puppy in the Precise series. The new version of Puppy in Precise series was announced and is called Precise Puppy 5.7.1. Are you exited to try? Oww, oww slow down guys. If you are new to Linux, you should read this article very carefully.
Do you have an old machine with less than 256MB of RAM or you have a super machine? You need this information because you have to choose which flavor to install. This pup comes in two flavors; One for older machines and/or thus on dial-up internet and one for modern machines. So you got it, right? I am glad you did.
I have a modern computer so I will download the precise-5.7-iso which is smaller than the ISO for old computers. A very good thing is that there are many infrastructure improvements in this pup.
What is Precise Puppy?
This is a question that someone without any knowledge about Linux may ask. What do you say guys, should we help him/her or not? Ofcourse yes. This is the reason why we are here. If we do not explain to newbies what Precise Puppy is then how can they follow my review and test Puppy Linux by themselves.
Precise Puppy is a Linux distribution built from a “Puppy builder” system named Woof. There are other puppies built with Woof such as Slacko and Racy. Since there are many other puppies you can choose the one you want to try and use based on your particular needs. It can be software or hardware needs or something else. I think this is enough for an introduction. Now it is time to get our hands dirty.
The first time I have run puppy Linux on my laptop I tried to connect to the internet and see how it works. The question that popped on my mind was ‘Do I have internet connection?’. I clicked the Connect icon which is shown in Figure 1 and I was surprised that the Simple Network Setup program was there to help me. It was so easy for me to connect to my wireless network.
A good thing is that there are many improvements and fixes for this new pup. The modern flavor distribution, which I am running now is based on Linux kernel 3.9.11 and it comes with only one browser pre-installed. This is Seamonkey 2.19. So nice! The retro-flavour distribution comes with two web browsers, Seamonkey and Opera browser. This pup comes with a new graphic processing software. PeasyGlue is the new application that can be used to join images together.
The default chat client is Pidgin and it runs so fast and smooth. Precise Puppy 5.7.1 gives you a default account to chat on their IRC channel. I personally experienced a very warm community. They are there to help if you ask them anything about Puppy Linux. There are many new features added and improved in the infrastructure level such as IPC mechanism and support for running internet applications as user ‘spot‘.
What about the new theme?
The theme creates a warm environment for the user and it is very high in quality. I think due to the newer kernel.
- The “retro flavour” has analog modem drivers for agrsm, dgcmodem, ess, conexant hcf/hsf, Intel 536/537, Lucent, pctel, smartlink and more
- Many libraries, utilities, and applications have been upgraded
- PeasyGlue is a new application for joining images together, has been added
- Pidgin has been added as the default chat client
- Retro flavor is based on Linux kernel 3.2.48
- Modern flavor is based on Linux kernel 3.9.11
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- How To Show Username On Panel In Ubuntu 13.04/13.10 : By default usernames are not displayed on panel in Ubuntu 13.04 and 13.10, In this simple tutorial w...0 comments |
- cowsay And fortune Combined Together : Hi linux geeks! In this article I will teach you a nice trick you can perform in the terminal with ...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- Install and Configure Samba share in Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' , 13.04| Howto : Updated 05-04-2013: One of the most asked features for Samba is a graphical user interface to help w...0 comments |
- cowsay And fortune Combined Together
- How To Show Username On Panel In Ubuntu 13.04/13.10
- Setup DNS Server On openSUSE 13.1
- TeamViewer 9 Final Has Been Released!
- Twelve Vulnerabilities Have Been Fixed In Ubuntu 12.04, Time To Update
- OpenLDAP Installation and Configuration in Ubuntu 12.10/13.04/13.10 And Debian 6/7
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint
- Setup A Full Featured ITIL Management System Using Integria IMS On CentOS 6
- Install LibreOffice 4.1.3 in Elementary OS ‘Luna’
- How To Install Simple Scan in Crunchbang ‘Waldorf’
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .