Play SNES Games on Ubuntu with ZSNES
It is the moment to go back in time. Although today’s kids play Sony Playstation 3 games and have better games with better graphics, I am proud to say that I played Super Mario Bros on my Super Nintendo for hours and I never got enough of it. I also remember playing Guerrilla Wars at night while my parents were sleeping. Do you miss those old Nintendo times? Would you like to save the Princess again?
Ok, this article has step-by-step instructions on how you can play your favorite SNES games on your Ubuntu machine, using the ZSNES emulator.
What you need
Do you need any additional hardware? No you don’t! All you need is a SNES emulator and some SNES ROMS. The emulator will act like a Super Nintendo Console and will play the ROMS for you. The most popular SNES emulator for Linux and my personal favorite, is ZSNES. It can be installed from the Software Center. I prefer to use a simple command and install it from the terminal as it’s much quicker.
ZSNES is an SNES emulator programmed in assembly language, initially released on 14 october 1997 for DOS systems. The ability to emulate complex games and the small memory footprint make this program a very reasonable choice among game players. It is free and open-source software and the best thing that all you gamers you like is that ZSNES has the reputation as one of the fastest SNES emulator available.
- 44.1khz Audio
- Audio With Various Effects
- Movie Creation
- Video Filters
- Multiplayer Gameplay Over TCP/IP Network
What about the SNES ROMS, where can you get them? Googling never hurt. Most of the ROMS you will download are archived in zip archives. But don’t worry, the ZSNES emulator will load the zip archive directly for you.
Run the command in your terminal like shown in Figure 1.
$ sudo apt-get install zsnes
After the installation is complete, type the ‘zsnes‘ command without quotation marks as shown in Figure 2 to run the ZSNES emulator:
After you run the command, the ZSNES GUI will display. Did you download your favorite ROM? Ok, are you prepared for a gaming night with Coca Cola and pizza? It is time to boot that ROM!
Since you kept reading this article this far, I know you are very curious to see how this emulator will run your favourite childhood games. So go to LOAD with your mouse and tick ‘Show all extensions‘. This option will make it easy for you to find the ROMS you have downloaded and want to play.
The game I will play is the Super Mario Kart (USA version). Select and click the LOAD button which is located on the right-bottom corner. Guys, the race is starting. I have to win, the Princess is there to watch the race. What game are you going to play?
Tell me in the comments. I will be very happy to know the game you are playing and maybe I will learn a new game I never heard of before.
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Twelve Vulnerabilities Have Been Fixed In Ubuntu 12.04, Time To Update : Canonical has released security updates for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and advices to update your system as so...1 comment |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- TeamViewer 9 Final Has Been Released! : TeamViewer is a commercial all-in-one software that can be used for remote control, desktop sharing,...0 comments |
- Setup DNS Server On openSUSE 13.1 : What is DNS Server? As you might know, DNS, Domain Name System, is a system that resolves Domain ...0 comments |
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint : Tor, The Onion Router, is a network of Virtual Tunnels that allows users to communicate securely and...1 comment |
- Setup DNS Server On openSUSE 13.1
- TeamViewer 9 Final Has Been Released!
- Twelve Vulnerabilities Have Been Fixed In Ubuntu 12.04, Time To Update
- OpenLDAP Installation and Configuration in Ubuntu 12.10/13.04/13.10 And Debian 6/7
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint
- Setup A Full Featured ITIL Management System Using Integria IMS On CentOS 6
- Install LibreOffice 4.1.3 in Elementary OS ‘Luna’
- How To Install Simple Scan in Crunchbang ‘Waldorf’
- Selene Media Encoder: Convert Audio, Video Files To Most Popular Formats
- Linux Kernel 3.12.2 Is Available For Download! Install / Upgrade Instructions
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .