OpenSUSE-Edu Li-f-e11.2 for children and students is available
Based on Opensuse11.2 , the new openSUSE-Edu Li-f-e includes carefully selected softwares for students, educators as well as parents. The software selection encompasses everything required to make computers productive for either home or educational use.
Here are some key features of “openSUSE Edu Li-f-e”:
· Latest desktopenvironments: Gnome 2.28 + KDE 4.3.x + Sugar 0.86 + IceWM. Session defaults to Gnome, choice of booting into KDE is available right from the boot menu or at the login screen
· Applications include tons of Educational apps, graphics, development(many IDEs, compilers, debuggers etc), office suite, and complete multimedia support.
· LTSP server LTSP allows you to run openSUSE on the PCs in the network without even installing or modifying local disks, just PXE boot the machines you want as thin clients. 5 users are already created for testing, linux1 – linux5, password is linux. openSUSE’s KIWI-LTSP has a lot more features and ease of use not available anywhere else. KIWI-LTSP automatically sets up all the services required to run the server including, DHCP, NBD/AoE, TFTP etc. Ideal for school/university labs and even offices.
· Hybrid iso image, single image to burn to DVD or dd it to USB stick, USB session can be persistent if second partition is created. It can be easily installed on hard disk by running live-installer from the desktop or boot menu. Information on how to create persistent live USB from the iso see this post.
· Profiled DVD same performance tweaks as official openSUSE 11.2 medias
· …and lot more in neat little 2.9G package
Download OpenSUSE-Edu Li-f-e DVD iso