Opensuse 11.4 (M4) is released | Screenshots tour
OpenSUSE project released the fourth of six milestones in the development of openSUSE 11.4. Milestone 4 (M4) brings a wide range of updates, both major and minor. Kernel 2.6.37rc3 is the basis of M4, including the famous “200 line” per tty task groups patch to improve desktop interactivity, and featuring the removal of the so-called ‘Big Kernel Lock’ that will improve scalability.
NetworkManager was updated to 0.8.2, seeing several last minute fixes in cooperation with upstream developers.
Libzypp 8.8 adds support for metalinks, the multiple download URL specification.
On the desktops, KDE makes the leap to version 4.6 beta 1. This includes a complete rewrite of Kontact and is undergoing heavy testing. GNOME 2.32.2 is the final version planned for openSUSE 11.4, which is notable for being the last stable release before GNOME 3 in March. Zeitgeist, the activity tracker, is updated to 0.6. KOffice is updated to 2.3beta1, bringing the exciting Krita natural media painting app to M4, while OpenOffice.org is removed, having been succeeded by LibreOffice in M3. Qt 4.7.1 and Qt Creator 2.1beta2 will allow improved Qt Quick development. Other major updates include the addition of the Midori lightweight browser, the Rosegarden musical notation editor in version 10.10 and monodevelop 2.4. Gnash, the free Flash viewer, comes in version 0.8.8, which has “100% Youtube support” and supports hardware acceleration.
And finally, the prize for biggest version number leap goes to xmahjong, which went from 2006.8.10 to 2010.11.8. xmahjong fans will be happy to hear that the version bump is only due to a packaging change removing build support for SUSE versions earlier than 9.1. The graphics and gameplay remain as they were in 1990.
Screenshots of the current M4 release
Useful links :http://news.opensuse.org/
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04 : Power Commands, power management application created by the Atareao team , this app helps users to...0 comments |
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian : uGet is a very light-weight and powerful open source download manager. On March 4th, 2014 Uget Do...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Download Elementary OS 'Luna' Official Wallpapers : Hi Guys, Am a great lover of Elementary OS, so I like to move almost everywhere with some its beaut...0 comments |
- Install Crashplan backup tool in Linux : CashPlan is an automated backup solution that either uses the CrashPlan Central server or any other ...0 comments |
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
- Puppet agent Install Using Script
- Install Corosync and Pacemaker On CentOS 6.5
- Install Fail2Ban On Ubuntu Server 13.04/13.10
- How To Install Google Chrome in Fedora 20, 19, 18
- How to surf using Tor Browser Bundle
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .