Open Source Software Used In Playstation 4, The Console Runs FreeBSD Kernel
The Sony Playstation 4 gaming console which has been released on 15th of November in United States, uses the FreeBSD kernel. This is not official yet, but a user has been posted a screenshot on reddit under the title “PS4 runs FreeBSD Kernel”.
The image shown below displays a list of installed software, you can see clearly the FreeBSD Kernel. The FreeBSD kernel is a modular open source kernel developed by The FreeBSD Project. It is supported by the following platforms:
Unfortunately since they can take the kernel and can do everything with it we can’t say they are keeping open source technologies for their platforms, they are just using it for their own benefits.
The fact that FreeBSD is more liberal in licensing than Linux tell us the reason why Sony chose The FreeBSD kernel over Linux. The FreeBSD kernel has problems too, it currently lacks manufacturer supported full-feature AMD graphics drive so I believe that Sony and AMD have thought about a nice and effective solution.
The operating system running on Playstation 4 is Orbis OS, it is a spin of FreeBSD 9.0.
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October : For Fedora users, just keep calm and use Fedora 20 for now. Fedora Developers has announced that F...1 comment |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install LAMP Server (Apache, MySQL or MariaDB, PHP) On Ubuntu 13.10 : Updated January 12, 2014 LAMP is a combination of operating system and open-source software stack. ...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- How to Install uTorrent Client on Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint : uTorrent is a lightweight and efficient BitTorrent client for Linux, Windows OS and Mac OS. The inst...0 comments |
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
- Puppet agent Install Using Script
- Install Corosync and Pacemaker On CentOS 6.5
- Install Fail2Ban On Ubuntu Server 13.04/13.10
- How To Install Google Chrome in Fedora 20, 19, 18
- How to surf using Tor Browser Bundle
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .