Open Source on NASA territory
NASA is playing host to the Open Source community by hosting a Summit on March 29thand 30th at its Mount View, Ames Research Center in California. The Summit is part of NASAs contact program between its core team of development engineers and with leading names in the open source community.
Objective of the Summit
The objective of the Summit is to develop an industry standard or a protocol for-open sourcing propriety programs that NASA has developed as well as integrating the open source developed software into mainstream NASA programming.
Open Source community watchers believe that the Summit would not have anything truly path breaking with the exception of a detailed protocol development discussion. That the Summit is initiated by a leading national organization takes the summit to a higher plane. This is a platform for the large companies, organizations that use Open source development as the base but after they have achieved high profitability would like to spin it into the true open source community to use and develop it further.
What the Summit has for others
Presently there is many a slip between the roll-back of such open source codes and there is a huge requirement for a community standard that allows for the easy absorption of such open source platform software to be re-integrated into Open Source community development format.
Establishing such a protocol will show the way for other governmental agencies and companies who want to move into mainstream open source development. Most times the first goal for various private/government agencies is to protect/firewall, profit and only once the proprietary open source they have developed loses its strategic advantage will they want it to be available to the open source community.
Through the course of the summit, the dialogue will be on how to improve and adopt the open source software contribution from closed organizations.
Participants at the Summit
The Director of NASA Ames Research Center’s , Intelligent Robotics Group, Terry Fong and Chris. C. Kemp, the Chief Technology Officer for Information Technology at NASA would be the main participants from the host side. Open Forum Foundation’s Wayn Moses Burke & Lucas Cioffi would be facilitating the entire Summit.
The Guest Speakers list, is the who-is-who of the Open Source Community, including Pascal Finette from Mozilla Labs, IBMs Dr. Robert Sutor heading the Open Systems ; Chris Wanstrath from Github as well as Brian Stevens from Red Hat would be the other participants offering deep insights to identify best processes. Each guest speaker brings with them domain expertise is various aspects of Open Sourcing. It is expected their stories about building the open source communities and their invaluable lessons will help in forging workable solutions.
Summit is critical to NASA
It is critical for NASA to find solutions that are real, action oriented solutions that will open the gateways for NASA but at the same time ensure the whole process is secure leaving no room for security lapses to bubble their way into the collaborative initiative that Open Source offers.
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October : For Fedora users, just keep calm and use Fedora 20 for now. Fedora Developers has announced that F...1 comment |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install LAMP Server (Apache, MySQL or MariaDB, PHP) On Ubuntu 13.10 : Updated January 12, 2014 LAMP is a combination of operating system and open-source software stack. ...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- DNS Server Installation Step by Step Using CentOS 6.5/6.4/6.3 : DNS, Domain Name System, translates hostnames or URLs into IP addresses. For example if we type www....0 comments |
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
- Puppet agent Install Using Script
- Install Corosync and Pacemaker On CentOS 6.5
- Install Fail2Ban On Ubuntu Server 13.04/13.10
- How To Install Google Chrome in Fedora 20, 19, 18
- How to surf using Tor Browser Bundle
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .