Firefox 16, a treat for developers http://t.co/cnd27CzT
Now Home servers are a click away with BeedBox Project
BeedBox Project is a new GNU/Linux distribution hosting project developed on Debian. The project’s aim is to help you in creating your own small server at your home. The goal is to enable you to host your own emails, photos, blogs as well as your social network. Definitely exciting and technically creative as this will surely help overcome the server-hosting logistics, so many of us are familiar with the commercial vendors we invariably face in our everyday internet activities. The aim is to make it as user friendly and easy to use with either a simple web interface or the command line itself to host our ‘small server@home’ and will takes just a few clicks from you.
Why, Is there a Beedbox requirement?
As we understand open source capabilities and its advantages, it has been rather disappointing to be handing out personal data to the likes of Google, Twitter or Flickr and understanding there are further commercial gains for these by reselling critical user data.
The need to have control over our own data and instead of allowing to be in the public domain is the core competency of Project BeedBox. Hosting own data at home would be the most effective way to remain on the social media platform and yet regain control on personal data/statistics.
At the core of Project Beedbox, it remains a well developed Debian distro that we could say ‘empowers’ home or independent users to seek to host their activities directly on the internet without having to rely on or seek unreliable support from third party/free web hosts. Newer hardware and powerful software are the key-drivers that will eventually give the technical tool to host our own servers.
Simply put the BeedBox will be a box connected to your modem, in fact all types from ADSL , fiber modem are supported. Then seek an user account and opt for the services with the web interface.
It could well be a web server with integrated blog engine, a photo-share option, videos , RSS-enabled that you opt for and will be enabled for you. Additional features could be applications for mail servers, IMs, Social media and even VOIP.
Reasons that encourage Project Beedbox
Small servers are technically ‘green’ solutions in comparison to the massive hosted, third party solutions. Top it with a robust and massive Debian Operating System, application suite that will allow install, configure as well as administer your own server. That will not only assuage the ‘techy’ part of us but will also be a fun and surely explorative, challenge we have done in the few years past.
In a broader sense, open source projects such as Beedbox will help break free from the refraining shackles of perhaps the ‘MInitel 2.0’ and Inc. where all third part large servers consolidate to offer ‘real Internet capabilities.’
Today, logging onto Facebook, twitter and any of their ilk is not only exposing ourselves to third parties accessing personal data but also permitting them to reuse it. With home server solutions that Beedbox is capable of offering, perhaps we can rest easy that our children are safe using Beedbox social media applications!
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things to do After Installing Ubuntu 13.04 ‘Raring Ringtail’ : Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail final is almost out. The final release it scheduled for release on Apri...2 comment(s) |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comment(s) |
- Howto: Upgrade to Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail from 12.04, 12,10 | Desktop & Server : Updated 05-04-2013: Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail will be released Soon, If you have ubuntu 12,10, 12...0 comment(s) |
- How to use Remote Desktop in Ubuntu : Sometimes, we need to access our computer from other locations when we’re not at home and such. This...0 comment(s) |
- Howto- Resolve nosound problem on Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail,12.10 and Older : Updated 05/04/2013 : One of the common issues facing Ubuntu users after installing or upgrading Ubun...0 comment(s) |
- Install and Configure Samba share in Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail , 12.10, 12.04| Howto : Updated 05-04-2013: One of the most asked features for Samba is a graphical user interface to help w...0 comment(s) |
- Dictionaries in Python
- How to Install uTorrent Client on Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint
- Lists in Python
- Argument Handling in Python
- Setup your own Wikipedia like website using MediaWiki
- Administer your Server using Ajenti Server Manager
- “Brand New” Unixmen Forum is Now Live!
- How To: Disable or Enable Guest Account in Ubuntu 13.04
- Setup Your Own YouTube Like Website Using ClipBucket
- Retroshare: A Next Generation Secure Communication and File Sharing Platform
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .