Firefox 16, a treat for developers http://t.co/cnd27CzT
More about PGP encryption
PGP (Pretty Good Privacy) encryption is a Public-Private key based Cryptography tool
for data protection and security.
Whenever any one wants secure data communication then he needs to have encryption
tool like PGP. The PGP will create a Public & Private for the user. Whenever he
wants to receive any data in a secured manner then he would distribute his public
key to people. They will use the PGP software and the public key to create the
encrypted date and then communicate the same via electronic Media. He can use his
PGP software and private key to decrypt and view the message. Public and private
keys are available in a form of file known as Key rings which is recognized by PGP
Software.When a user encrypts plaintext with PGP, PGP first compresses the plaintext. PGP
then creates a session key, which is a one-time-only secret key. This key is a
random number generated from the random movements of your mouse and the keystrokes
you type. This session key works with a very secure, fast conventional encryption
algorithm to encrypt the plaintext; the result is cipher text. Once the data is
encrypted, the session key is then encrypted to the recipient's public key. This
public key-encrypted session key is transmitted along with the cipher text to the
recipient.Decryption works in the reverse. The recipient's copy of PGP uses his or her private
key to recover the temporary session key, which PGP then uses to decrypt the
conventionally-encrypted cipher text.
Keys are stored in encrypted form. PGP stores the keys in two files on your hard
disk; one for public keys and one for private keys. These files are called keyrings.
As you use PGP, you will typically add the public keys of your recipients to your
public keyring. Your private keys are stored on your private keyring. If you lose
your private keyring, you will be unable to decrypt any information encrypted to
keys on that ring.
Many of the software applications use the PGP software (PGP Command Line) to build
their encryption. Following scenario would explain the same.
A company ABC is transacting with bank and receives and sends communication to the
Bank electronically. They want to transmit the data electronically. The Bank is
already using PGP software for encrypting the data. The bank insists the ABC Company
to send the data in Encrypted form. They would share their Public Key. This would be
in the form of a file (Key ring). Then ABC firm first upload the key Ring in their
PGP software. When transmitting data, they would use the Bank's Public Key and
encrypt the data and then transmit the same. When the Bank receives the file, they
would use the PGP application and their private key and decrypt the data. Similarly
when ABC Company wants to receive the encrypted data from their Partners/Bank, then
they would generate a Public, Private Key from the PGP Software and share the Public
Key to their partner.
SourceTheetharappan, Thiagarajan from mphasis.comFor questions please refer to our Q/A forum at : http://ask.unixmen.com
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things to do After Installing Ubuntu 13.04 ‘Raring Ringtail’ : Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail final is almost out. The final release it scheduled for release on Apri...0 comment(s) |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comment(s) |
- Howto: Upgrade to Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail from 12.04, 12,10 | Desktop & Server : Updated 05-04-2013: Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail will be released Soon, If you have ubuntu 12,10, 12...0 comment(s) |
- Install and Configure Samba share in Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail , 12.10, 12.04| Howto : Updated 05-04-2013: One of the most asked features for Samba is a graphical user interface to help w...0 comment(s) |
- How to use Remote Desktop in Ubuntu : Sometimes, we need to access our computer from other locations when we’re not at home and such. This...0 comment(s) |
- Configure conky-Lua in Ubuntu (12.10 & 13.04 Raring Ringtail), Fedora, debian and LinuxMint | Howto Conky : Updated 05-04-2013: Conky is a free, light-weight system monitor for X, that displays any informatio...0 comment(s) |
- How to disable/change default PDF viewer in Mozilla Firefox
- Dictionaries in Python
- How to Install uTorrent Client on Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint
- Lists in Python
- Argument Handling in Python
- Setup your own Wikipedia like website using MediaWiki
- Administer your Server using Ajenti Server Manager
- “Brand New” Unixmen Forum is Now Live!
- How To: Disable or Enable Guest Account in Ubuntu 13.04
- Setup Your Own YouTube Like Website Using ClipBucket
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .
Maintained by Anblik .