Linux mint 14 Nadia RC, finally released!
6 months after Linux Mint 13 codename “Maya” [release date 23rd May], based on the Ubuntu 12.04 “Precise Pangolin”; the team has finally announced Linux Mint 14, fulfilling their promise. The new release features Cinamon 1.6, Mate (version 1.4), MDM, Software Manager and several Upstream Components besides regular systems and artwork improvements. The post highlights all the new features included in the new beta release!
Linux Mint 14 is codenamed “Nadia” as in Kim Stanley Robinson’s Mars Trilogy, Nadezhda “Nadia” Chernyshevski is Maya’s best friend. (out of interest: Nadia is the English form of Nadya, which itself is the pet form of Nadezhda and is Russian for “hope”. It’s also a variant of Nadiyya which, in Arabic, means “moist, tender, delicate”). Linux Mint 14 features:
Linux Mint 14 comes with an option of Cinnamon 1.6.6 or Mate 1.4
Cinnamon 1.6: Cinnamon 1.6 comes with as many as 800 changes and is promised to be more stable than its earlier versions! Cinnamon features persistent work spaces that can be created by “+” button and shall remain there even if you reboot or log off, until you delete them. Also Cinnamon 1.6 gives you the ability to name workspaces and hence organizing work space in a better way. All the windows across all work spaces are enlisted in Window-Quick-List. Cinnamon features Nemo, its own file-browser, brightness applet, Expo and Scale applet. In the Cinnamon 1.6 the Alt-Tab window switcher is made configurable. Cinnamon 1.6 features the following switchers:
- Icons (default, similar to Cinnamon 1.4)
- Icons + Thumbnails
- Icons + Window Previews
- Window Previews
Besides the sound applet is improved. Also as reported on last Friday, Cinnamon released version 1.6.6 only a few days after Cinnamon 1.6.5 fixing localization of application items in main menu anticipating the Linux Mint 14 released.
MATE 1.4: MATE 1.4 not only comes with numerous bug fixes but also features some exciting new features prominently functional bluetooth and mate-keyring. Mate 1.4 also features its own character map and lets you select notification styles. Caja features also support Dropbox now.
Software Manager: Software Manager is more user-friendly. Notable features include: Search-as-you-type in feature is configurable and can be disabled. Software manager now runs as root now. Besides there are number of under-the-hood changes to make software manger even convenient.
MDM: MDM in Linux Mint 14 now support legacy GDM 2 themes. You can choose from 30 pre-installed in Linux Mint 14 or choose from over 2000 on the web (gnome-look.org). User List, User-switching are improved. MDM gets numerous big-fixes and security improvements!
Most notably MintSystem now provides two additional commands:
- dns-fix sets your DNS resolution to OpenDNS
- xchat-systray makes your Xchat systray icon re-appear after restarting the desktop (this is particulary useful to Cinnamon developers)
Also Gedit 3 is replaced by more stable and mature Gedit 2.30. Linux Mint 14 features the following upstream components: Ubuntu 12.10, Linux 3.5, MATE 1.4, Cinnamon 1.6. Finally, Linux Mint comes with a handful of beautiful backgrounds to make your workstation pleasing.
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- How To Install Netflix In Ubuntu : Hi unixmen readers! How are you? In this article we will teach you how to install the desktop vers...3 comments |
- How To Configure Linux Clients To Authenticate Using OpenLDAP : This is the continuation of our previous tutorial. In our previous tutorial we learned how to instal...2 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- Setup IT And Asset Management System With GLPI On Debian/Ubuntu : GLPI is the Information Resource-Manager with an additional Administration Interface. You can use it...0 comments |
- Install FrostWire 5.6.9 In Elementary OS ‘Luna’/ Ubuntu / Linux Mint
- Setup IT And Asset Management System With GLPI On Debian/Ubuntu
- How To Configure Linux Clients To Authenticate Using OpenLDAP
- How To Install Netflix In Ubuntu
- cowsay And fortune Combined Together
- How To Show Username On Panel In Ubuntu 13.04/13.10
- Setup DNS Server On openSUSE 13.1
- TeamViewer 9 Final Has Been Released!
- Twelve Vulnerabilities Have Been Fixed In Ubuntu 12.04, Time To Update
- OpenLDAP Installation and Configuration in Ubuntu 12.10/13.04/13.10 And Debian 6/7
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .