Ubuntu Enterprise cloud delivered on Dell servers
Finally, Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud (UEC) is set to penetrate deep into the Cloud Computing Enterprise segment post the Dell partnership. Canonical had first debuted the UEC along with their Jaunty Jackalope (9.04 Release) in April 2009.
The yesterday of Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud Computing
Mark Shuttleworth the founder of Ubuntu Linux had called cloud computing the ‘new hotness’ and forecasted that UEC would enable enterprises to build Amazon EC2-compatible cloud in their own datacenters. Simply put every enterprise could now configure their internal servers as a cloud allowing instant conversation with the same APIs as in the EC2 (the Linux distro for Amazon EC2 was released prior to UEC). Therefore, this technology allowed any web user to register and start a basic/minimal Server on Ubuntu.
Defining UEC role in cloud computing
Post October 2009, saw Ubuntu focus UEC for private cloud computing for two reasons. One competitors such as Red Hat Linux were already being partnered byAmazon with the main service line of assisting enterprises deploy their application through partners who offered cloud computing services. Two through the UEC, corporate IT managers could choose cloud computing for its innate capabilities of agility and elasticity and not be vulnerable to the Amazonian public infrastructure. The future for UEC was defined for private cloud computing.
The Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud today
Canonical, the commercial sponsor of Ubuntu Linux saw the expansion of Ubuntu Linux and penetrating deep into the enterprise requirement for cloud computing allowing Dell to offer the Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud on its PowerEdge C2100 as well as the PowerEdge C6100 servers. This also marks the migration of Ubuntu for DELL Desktops to DELL Servers.
Based on the open source Eucalyptus project, today the UEC has 12,000 active enterprise clouds being deployed and a growing curve of 200 users every day.
The Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud tomorrow
Dell will henceforth offer the UEC on two of its servers- PowerEdge C1200 as well as the PowerEdge C6100. Dell will handle the entire sell from reselling UEC Assists contracts but will receive an undisclosed sum as revenue per sale.
A question as to why Dell chose to partner Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud lead to the admission by Nicolas Barcet, the Product Manager at Ubuntu that the similar commitments of both organizations to offer simple yet stable deployment of methodologies of every kind. The simplicity of the methodology is further reflected in the reference architecture documentation as well as the per-configuration data files prepared for UEC.
The present challenges before UEC is that certification s are yet pending and so in the integration into other hardware system vendors such as IBM as well as HP. However, the power of UEC is in its flexibility for private cloud computing and possible scaling options to the public cloud usage. Additionally the economics of cloud computing show that infrastructural expenditure, facility of time, parallel unlimited access to the servers without the hassles of security risks makes it the technical toast for the past two decades.
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install LAMP Server (Apache, MySQL or MariaDB, PHP) On Ubuntu 13.10 : Updated January 12, 2014 LAMP is a combination of operating system and open-source software stack. ...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- DNS Server Installation Step by Step Using CentOS 6.5/6.4/6.3 : DNS, Domain Name System, translates hostnames or URLs into IP addresses. For example if we type www....0 comments |
- How to Install uTorrent Client on Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint : uTorrent is a lightweight and efficient BitTorrent client for Linux, Windows OS and Mac OS. The inst...0 comments |
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
- Puppet agent Install Using Script
- Install Corosync and Pacemaker On CentOS 6.5
- Install Fail2Ban On Ubuntu Server 13.04/13.10
- How To Install Google Chrome in Fedora 20, 19, 18
- How to surf using Tor Browser Bundle
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .