Liberating non-free software with Linux-libre
The compelling desire for software that was free of expensive licensing, over the past half century,lead to the development of open source software. However, open source in some of its popular forms such as Linux, Fedora, Ubuntu and the rest of the distros though based on the freely available platform , often comes with certain parts of code or source that are under license. Free Software Foundation the alma mater of all open source software, along with like-minded community volunteers chose to start the Linux-Libre Project, which is dedicated to editing the Linux Kernel to maintain it free of licensed open source software.
How does open source software become free software?
The foundation, essentially reviews software modules for embedded source code (called as binary blobs as these are usually a series of numbers), code that is technically categorized as proprietary or ‘semi-free license’ as well as obfuscated code. These and any other similar ‘source code’ which users cannot use without seeking permission, consents from original coders is eliminated and sewn up to ensure distros that are truly ‘free software’ is every sense.
Such free software is to be available as Free System Distributions and you will not be required to use additional non-free software besides, being able to alter, change and edit the software to your creative satisfaction.
Linux-Libre is therefore, the core of GNU, Linux as well as fully free software. Its present publishers and maintainers is the Free Software Foundation Latin America.
The story of Linux-Libre distro
Released in March 2009, Linux-Libre is in a sense a grandchild of the already established distributions gNewSense and BLAG. Though, UTUTO-e , a Gentto based Linux distro, is credited to have removed licensed linux source code for the first time, Linux-Libre improves considerably on the entire process and is more pro-active in its features.
In the Music domain running on Knoppix is Musix GNU distribution. It is a Linux LiveCD distribution that professional music production houses are exploring given its powerful music production, graphics designing capabilities and the ability to combine it with effective audio as well as video editing.
For institutional use is the Trisquel distros that ensures offices, home users and schools, colleges and similar centres can use this no-fee, no-license open source software.
KDE fans will enjoy using the full-fledged multimedia distribution, VENENUX for KDE desktops along with certain features that resemble Debian.
Dynebolic is another multimedia LiveCD distribution with special features for audio as well as video editing.
Linux-Libre the way forward
It is not only free software that Linux-Libre is passionate about, it raises concerns on Linux images, artwork such as that of Stux a true poster for open source software, that is not for free use.
Linux-Libre is a conscious option for those of us who want to go beyond open source software and explore the true limit of un-licensed, free to use open source for that liberating experience!
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX : Wow! Early last week it was all over the internet, if you haven't heard it yet then this is the t...1 comment |
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive : A couple of months before, we have featured a Linux client for Google Drive named Syncdrive, which w...1 comment |
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- How To "Fix E: Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status" : QUESTION: I get the following error when I use sudo apt-get update: E: Could not open file /var/...0 comments |
- Install Sublime Text 3 In Fedora Easily With Fedy : Sublime Text is a sophisticated text editor for code, markup and prose. In this tutorial we are goi...0 comments |
- Install nSnake Game In Terminal : From github repo nsnake is a clone of the classic snake game that we all used to play on our cellp...0 comments |
- Install Sublime Text 3 In Fedora Easily With Fedy
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive
- Install nSnake Game In Terminal
- How To “Fix E: Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status”
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .